News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger tick

Started by SethTiger, July 25, 2010, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethTiger

Got a 99 tiger. low miles.   When I start it does have some slight ticking noise. But when I ride for maybe a hour or so and stop and I can here a louder ticking. I know I've heard people say this engine is clanky. The performance of motor seem great just loud ticking when warm.

Any thoughts on whats going on?

Seth

blacktiger

Hope it's valves but could be more serious.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

KuzzinKenny

Hey SethTiger !! try this..........

take a screwdriver, preferably one long enough to give yourself room to work, and put the metal tip of the screwdriver directly on to a metal part of the engine. Put your thumb knuckle on the top of the screwdriver, and then place your knuckle on the side of your head, immediately in front of your ear. The sound will travel directly to your ear drum. The idea, here, is for the solid screwdriver to work like a stethoscope. This works for most metal valves, as well. keep moving it about the engine untill you have located the noise ( the louder it gets, the more likely thats your problem )

hope this helps !!

KK

ps Yes the motor should be running  :roll:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

SethTiger

Thanks KK,  I'll give that a try.

I hope there is nothing wrong. I know the engine is loud to begin with.