News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas Leak 2004

Started by bkrstv, March 25, 2011, 05:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

removing the tank is easy!

just have to remove the little turn signal brackets, the bolt at the steering neck, the battery box, the one bolt under the battery box, and then the 2 (or 1) fuel connection, the 2 vent hoses, and then the fuel sender unit connection.

Does the leak constantly drip?

Timbox2

Quote from: "bkrstv"thanks again...

Is removing the tank a major deal for a semi-mechanic like me? A friend is helping and he is pretty good but neither of us has worked on a Triumph.

look, even with pictures..

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32393
2016 Tiger Sport

bkrstv

walker...yes the leak is constant

guys thanks for the tank info and link

walker

I would take the tank off, fill enough fuel to start it leaking, then use something to find the leak .... like talcum powder - it'll get wet in the area where the leak is.

My guess is that it's probably the fuel sender, or even those crappy hoses that run from the front to the back of the tank. Mine, on the left side, was cracked very bad. The right side looked as new.

bkrstv

great idea, thanks walker

walker

if you do all this, and it's not the tank, it's some other host or fitting. It's funny how liquid can travel along wires and hoses before dripping somewhere.

keep us posted :)

bkrstv

thanks,
hopefully tomorrow night I can take another serious look at all the hoses.  the bike is at a friend's house up on the lift.

bkrstv

Found the leak, it is at the very back of the tank, lowest point near the mounting screw.

Now for the fix...anyone know of any magic potion that will seal the plastic against gasoline?

Thanks again for any help or ideas!

bkrstv

Bixxer Bob

Once again, and we say this a lot, the search button is your friend.  There are many accounts, including photos, of how others fixed theirs.  All you have to do is find them   :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

bkrstv

I appreciate the reminder about the search.  However, I have used the search many times and it is not very precise and often it pulls up a whole host of unrelated posts.  Not trying to get someone to to do my work for me just trying to save time.

walker

it's a tough one to find.... and it's in the steamer section maybe?

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... etrol+leak

bkrstv

thanks,
actually a mechanic friend recommended NAPA's "Fuel Tank Repair Kit" and I did and it looks like that fixed it.

blacktiger

Quote from: "bkrstv"thanks,
actually a mechanic friend recommended NAPA's "Fuel Tank Repair Kit" and I did and it looks like that fixed it.

Well done for the fix. I appreciate you haven't had the bike long but any clue what caused the leak in the first place?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

bkrstv

no, it was a hairline crack. It might have been dropped before I got it.

Seems to have been fixed with the Napa fuel tank repair kit.  I have ridden several hundred miles since and no leak.