News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Frozen Rear Pad Pins

Started by 97tiger885, September 22, 2011, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Tried to change the rear pads a few days ago...total failure.  Stripped the allen heads in the pin holding the pads.  This despite antiseize and torquing.  This isn't the first time.  Dropped off the caliper at the local shop.  This must be a common problem on off-road mcs.  Turns out the pins for those mcs have a hexgon head on the end and are called racing pins.

I want to switch to these.  Anybody know if there is a replacement race pin for the stock pins out there anywhere?

Stock calibers are not available from TriumphNA at this time.  So, I may need some suggestions if the shop can't save this caliper.

rf9rider

I`ve replaced the stock pins on mine with stainless steel ones, got them from Ebay UK if thats any use to you?

Noddyhd

:D   Another way to do it so that the pins never stick again is to have two new ones machined up (out of stainless) longer than standard, long enough to stick out the rear of the caliper, without the thread on the larger diameter.
Cross drill them (insert and check location of hole before drilling) at the small diameter end to take an 'R' clip like the quick release pins races use.
You also have to drill through the rest of the caliper body so the pins protrude through to the rear of the caliper.
Push the pins through the caliper and pads put the 'R' clip through the hole in the small diameter..... Easy to change pads, no more seizing ... job done  8)
Hope this idea might be of help.
\'98 Steamer in BRG.
\'81 HD Wideglide.
\'85 HD Wideglide.
\'74 GT750 \'Kettle\'

97tiger885

Quote from: "Noddyhd":D   Another way to do it so that the pins never stick again is to have two new ones machined up (out of stainless) longer than standard, long enough to stick out the rear of the caliper, without the thread on the larger diameter.

Turns out Moose Racing does have the type of slider pin that fits the Tiger.  Moose stock number is M0502.  Not cheap....$12US each but worth it to me.  I am replacing only the rear pins.  One minor drawback is that the top pin requires a socket; the bottom pin is accessible with an open ended wrench.

These pins should be readily available.  They were used in many of the off-road Kawasakis from around '94 to '04.  

If these pins don't solve the problem, I will try the threadless method.