News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01 955i running rich and starting issues, Valve adjustment??

Started by gatorwesty, March 15, 2012, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorwesty

The bottom was clogged and required a drill bit by hand to remove calcified water solids that turned rock hard. It took quite a while to work through the stuff but finally cleared it out and then air compressor from the top confirmed that it was clear. I reloaded the stock tune and it is running good. I am not sure how much water is in tank, is it possible that there is water on the bottom of the tank, and that is why when my fuel level reaches 1/2 that it wont start?
When the tank is low it wont start till I add fuel. Is there an easy way to drain the tank?

Thanks

metalguru

Oil will float on top of water as less dense, so the level of fuel shouldn't make a difference. The safest way is to run it as far as you can then remove the tank, remove the pump mounting plate with the tank tilted on its side and drain what is left into a suitable container so you can see the water in the fuel.

OR

Syphon the fuel out into a container as above so the water can be seen.

Then

Replace the fuel filter as water can get caught up in it.
Alternatives to OEM on site, but most aluminium filters are compatable.
Note,
Make sure if you remove the tank, you have enough space to swing around, as they can be awkward in a tight spot, and a pre-determined landing spot for the tank, ie old blankets etc.

Nothing like dancing around with a tank in your hands and nowhere to put it.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Like I said 1/4 litre of water in my tank wasn't causing any problems, but I didn't put it back anyway..... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

Keith....
Intermittent problems are  a bummer.....

Check inside your ignition switch housing. You may see evidence of sparking, cracked solder, loose connection.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

gatorwesty

Thanks Jerry,

It is in a stage now that I am afraid to turn it off. I have a trip planned in August to the Northeast to meet my Brother in law so I have some time to work it out I guess.

I went for a nice ride yesterday with no issues, I have put some additives in the fuel to absorb moisture and clean the fuel injectors so I am hoping that I can run it empty and then start with fresh fuel.

I have wiggled the wires from the ignition and everything there seems to be fine. I did notice since clearing out the lower drain from the fuel tank, that when I open the fuel cap there is a noticeable release of pressure so that might be a good thing. I cant remember hearing that on my Tiger before. I hear it on my cars, but not the Tiger. I think that it was clogged for years, and recently I have been using it as my daily transportation and leaving in the rain so that may have been the problem.

We shall see..........................

Keith

Bixxer Bob

Although the water absorbtion trick should work, running it down won't get rid of any water left in the bottom, you need to drain it. All I did was run it till the fuel light came on and a bit more then took the tank off and tipped it upside down over a drain tray. When I poured the contents into a bottle about 1/4 was water. Refit the tank, half an hour start to finish.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

gatorwesty

Ok, pulled the tank and removed the fuel pump/filter assembly. Drained remaining fuel into a proper container. Installed a new fuel filter, and put it all back together. I changed out the coolant while I had the tank off and checked the air filter, and all hoses connected.

Fresh hi test fuel and she is running good at the moment. We shall see for how long and how low I can go on the tank to see if I have starting issues again when it gets low.

It was nice to get back on the bike and have a spirited ride.

Robbie

Quote from: "gatorwesty"Thanks Jerry,
 I did notice since clearing out the lower drain from the fuel tank, that when I open the fuel cap there is a noticeable release of pressure

Keith

this points to a vent problem.
the small bore pipe next to the one you cleaned out for the drain is the tank vent.

it could be blocked like the drain, or the black plastic thing (tip over valve) is not vertical or is blocked.

this can lead to poor running when low on fuel
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

gatorwesty

1/2 tank of fuel, wouldnt start the other day. Pulled off the vacume lines on the bottom of tank, and after a while it did start, but hesitant till warm. I noticed prior as well that upon first start, I couldnt give it any throttle or it would die till it warmed up.
I did clear the second tank vent, and it was clogged too, not sure if that will help.

I am thinking it may be valve adjustment time? 42000 miles and never done one. Could this be the hard to start issues now that I am dealing with and poor throttle response at first start up? It runs great otherwise after a 10 second warmup and IF it starts.

feedback please regarding valve adjust, or anything else. I couldnt get the connectors off the ecu to check for corrosion on the bottom of that, I will have to look at that again too.

Thanks,   Keith

Chad

Wow no adjustments in 42 thou  :shock:
It will be interesting to see how the gaps look , if the gaps are tight then this could cause compression issues leading to poor cold starting  but I would have thought you might have had poor running when hot too   :?

But those valves need looking at pronto !
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida