News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

more info/video/line drawings on the new Triumph Adventure

Started by jonathan jaecks, September 01, 2010, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stenhouse

So why if chains are so good did they do away with them for cars?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

tett

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"So why if chains are so good did they do away with them for cars?

You still need to run a differential with a two wheel drive system and here it is easier with a shaft drive.

With Bikes, chains are lighter and the most efficient getting the torque to the rear wheel.  Just a bit more maintenance and dirty.

I love the chain drive on my Tiger and the shaft drive on my Valkyrie.  Each has its place.

Cheers John!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Nimrod11

Getting off topic here... but what about belt drives? Very light, maintenance free on the road and not expensive to change. Always thought it was a sensible option.
----------
Tiger 2004

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Getting off topic here... but what about belt drives? Very light, maintenance free on the road and not expensive to change. Always thought it was a sensible option.

Totally agree. They are even lighter than chains. And they last longer in ideal conditions. Where they don't do as well is with bad terrain where rocks can get in between the belt and the pulley. I have a friend who had a rock cut a hole through the middle of the belt on their Buell Ulysses when going off tarmac. It held long enough to get it to the dealer to replace it, though.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "tett"I love the chain drive on my Tiger and the shaft drive on my Valkyrie.  Each has its place.

Totally agree. Wish my Sprint had a shaft sometimes.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Getting off topic here... but what about belt drives? Very light, maintenance free on the road and not expensive to change. Always thought it was a sensible option.

I'd go with that!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"I'll bet the two Be eM owners had 1200s, BMW have had shaft drive from the start, the problems seem to be mostly on the new stuff.

Spot on....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

It's not shaft drive per se,although BM do have and have had heaps of problems with both the K range and the GS1200,but it's when they start to get on in age and mileage,their not cheap or easy to fix,were as with ours it's new chain and sprockets and it's back new.

Plus as any folks on here who have owned a BM know they are different to ride with a shaft,because you don't have the slack in the drive chain it requires a totally different technique(he says owning two  :roll: )

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"
Quote from: "Mustang"don't know why they didn't just keep refining the steamer  :icon_scratch

I always thought The Steamer is a great bike with one big flaw. The flaw was so big you just accepted it considering everything else that seems "good enough".

It's really top-heavy.

Just the one!?  :shock:

How about the sprocket cover being part of the engine casing.
Having to remove all the fairings and the carbs to change the air filter.
Oh, having to change the air filter box rather than just the air filter :)
A spine that blocks easy access to the centre plug.
A fuse box in the most inaccessible place ever.
And a digital clock  :D

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Just the one!?  :shock:

How about the sprocket cover being part of the engine casing.
Having to remove all the fairings and the carbs to change the air filter.
Oh, having to change the air filter box rather than just the air filter :)
A spine that blocks easy access to the centre plug.
A fuse box in the most inaccessible place ever.
And a digital clock  :D

Those, imho, are minor.

I've already fixed the digital clock problem. I converted the slot that holds the 2" clock with a 2" volt gague for the battery. I took the live 12v to the handlebars for an aux power socket (pictures somewhere around this forum). Cost me $20.

As far as the airbox is concerned, there are worse airbox configs out there  :shock: Some have even been discussed here. I've done two now myself and have refurbished one on my own. It's not that bad.

The spine blocking access to #2 plug I fixed with a $17 dealer part. Now I hardly notice it.

The fuse box is easy to move (haven't done it: I have these weird rubber hands that actually fit in there to change the fuses, believe it or not!)

The sprocket cover, well, that's probably the worst. I bought a trophy sprocket cover for $29 on ebay I plan to split the next sprocket set I do. Tips on how to deal with that are here, too. Not too expensive!

There's no way to fix top heavy, though. I just accept it. Does make the bike more stable at high speeds (but less responsive).