News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Okay Gang I'm gettin 35 mpg?

Started by Jaythro, July 20, 2010, 02:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Quote from: "Jaythro"Light comes on at 120 to 125 and I get 20 litres approx in there

What is the tank capacity on a 96 Steamer Chaps and chapesses :-D

The owner's manual for the '97 says 25 liters (6.6 US gallons) with 5 liters (1.32 US gallons) as reserve.

Jaythro

Okay So Hoonin the ass off it down the slab musta done some good!

Light on tonight at 145 and took 16 litres

Working out at app 41 m,pg (imperial)

Happier with that but will still do a carb pull clean etc etc and do valve clearances while in there!

Jaythro

OKay Motorway Speeds It's pullin 5000 revs or slightly more and is thirsty

Any thoughts on a larger front or a smaller rear sprocket?

To get the Gearing raised a little???

I don't do off road but reckon 5 mpg extra on fuel would pay for a set of plates and springs soon enough if needed

Jaythro

Yeaugh Some Serious cleaning up required!!!

I think I gonna need a chain too

I spotted this Linky with gear ratio type stuff

Any of you guys any thoughts on changing the ratios to make it a more affordable bike (apart from dropping in a diesel motor!! And I'm damned tempted just now!)

Sprocket Front    £ 12.20 Information Part Information 18 Teeth

Sprocket Front Less 1 Tooth  £ 12.20 17 teeth

Sprocket Front Plus 1 Tooth  £ 13.22  19 teeth    

Sprocket Rear - Steel £ 32.27 48 teeth

Sprocket Rear - Steel - Less 2 Teeth £30.58 46 teeth

Mustang

any higher gearing above a 18 / 48 combo is going to make 1st gear really tall with lots of clutch slippin to get rolling on a hill etc etc

BruKen

I consistently get 1 liter per 10 miles on A roads and 200 miles before reserve. The silly bugger light comes on at about 150. Mikuni carbs.

CoolHandLuke

That works out about 45MPG:

Miles / Litres * 4.55 = MPG.

160 Miles / 16 Litres * 4.55 = 45.5MPG

My light comes on around 140-150.  I can go another 60 miles before having to switch to reserve and then I have about 30 miles to get to a petrol station (around 230-240 in total).

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Mustang"any higher gearing above a 18 / 48 combo is going to make 1st gear really tall with lots of clutch slippin to get rolling on a hill etc etc

I am running with 19/47 and a 116 link chain with no issues on hills.  You are right though, any higher than this and you'll have milk floats beating you off the lights.  My bike is assisted with the Bos exhausts and the carbs from a Sprint Executive :)

D-Fuzz

So what is a good gearing combo to have?  I'd like to do some off-pavement riding but don't want to sacrifice too much on the highway either.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

JetdocX

Have you checked the valve clearances, yet? :?
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"So what is a good gearing combo to have?  I'd like to do some off-pavement riding but don't want to sacrifice too much on the highway either.
the stock 18/48 gearing is well within the capabilities of the tiger's off road prowess  :roll:

a 17 / 48 combo works  really well for low end grunt and gives some hot rod pull to around a ton and it will get there really quick .
the downside is an added 500 rpm to any gear . 5500 rpm at 72 mph gets a bit old after a while on the superslab though