News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

future of 1050?

Started by jonathan jaecks, November 22, 2010, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

A good big'un will beat a good little'un every time,unless your offroading which the majority don't,and what always make me smile the KTM Adventure is the best road/offroad by an absolutely country mile,with the important 21" front wheel te-boot,and it's a piss poor seller,because folk don't want to really have a hard core bike,it's all about playing pretend 5/10 year olds,which is pretty odd considering the age of most riders  :roll:

Bixxer Bob

I think we're both saying basically the same, on road the big 'un will normally win but off-road it's the reverse.  But they rarely go off-road.... occasionally wade maybe but I'm not going there - figuratively or otherwise  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I think we're both saying basically the same, on road the big 'un will normally win but off-road it's the reverse.  But they rarely go off-road.... occasionally wade maybe but I'm not going there - figuratively or otherwise  :oops:

And neither do the majority, and after so many folk have been kiddng themselves they are now be honest and buying what they need and not what impresses next door!!,hence the 1050 and the Multistrada have been such sale success's.

My 955 has a groove on the inside of my Remus can from the rear brake caliper when the Ohlins was fully compressed and bottomed out,going across a French railway crossing fully loaded two up at over 3 figures,I'm not sure this 1200 will appeal the same,but hey there's a long way to go.

brad1098

Ah, now I see why the 1050 designers did what they did.  They took all the offroad out of it "because we figure nobody really takes them offroad" Really? Must not be any good gravel in the U.K.?

Across the pond the adventure touring market segment is the largest growing motorcycle segment.  Triumph is jumping back on the band-wagon with Yamaha and Honda. Due partially to the success of the BMW's.  If we all just wanted a dirtbike we would have KTM's and Husky's.  Its the versatility that I desire.
02 black-Lorna

jphish

Speaking for us 'little people' I think there are other variables that come into play in the adventure/dual sport 'bigger is better' view. Before the BMW & Triumph 800's there really wasnt much on the menu as welterweights, at least not available in the US. I have a Girly, Uly & KLR.  All good, but all different machines & Fine for what they were designed for. If you're 5'8" & 165 # (me) - I think the 800's are plenty of Beast for the adventure minded, on tarmac or dirt road. I 'test rode' the f800GS (my buddies) for about 200 mi. I liked it - had plenty of all I needed for a "swiss Army" do it all machine. I'm more partial to Tigers than GS's, so decided to wait till the 800XC is available to consider replacing my current 3 with 1. My riding partner is 6'2" & 200# - also has a 1200GS - he prefers the 800 for the rough stuff - but more comfy on the 1200 for the long haul. Us smaller folks I think, can step down a size and not sacrifice comfort for adventure  - size does matter here.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "brad1098"Ah, now I see why the 1050 designers did what they did.  They took all the offroad out of it "because we figure nobody really takes them offroad" Really? Must not be any good gravel in the U.K.?

The vast majority don't,hence why the 955 didn't put a dent in the GS sales but the 1050 did and with the sales of the Multistrada,BMW are looking over their shoulder at what the others are up to,instead of rthe other way round.

Triumph's 800 is just covering the angles that other manafacturers have done,you want a dual purpose road/offroad even comes with a 21" front and just great to ride, go buy an Africa Twin,but if your in the States,you'll have to import yourself,as they never had it,and they were making them in 1990!!.

mat-tiger1

Wondered if this is something Triumph have in mind for the 1050 progression  :?:

Thoughts anyone :?:

All the best,
Mat-Tiger1  :thumbsup
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

jonathan jaecks

Since I have no desire whatsoever to take any off road trips on anything but a pure off road bike I'm hoping that Triumph continues the road development of the 1050.  I'd really like to see it simply updated a bit (chain drive only please).  Have considered getting a used one to play around with but patiently waiting to see what happens with it.  I was beginning to like the idea of the new sprint gt until I saw that it had marginal suspension, been overfed, and stretched.  Silly as it may sound but one of the deal breakers for me regarding the 1050 is the crap luggage...that won't even fit a helmet?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mat-tiger1"Wondered if this is something Triumph have in mind for the 1050 progression  :?:

Thoughts anyone :?:

All the best,
Mat-Tiger1  :thumbsup

What Ican't make out with Honda who the hell runs the marketing dept??,the Africa Twin was one of the greats,they bring the Varadero out and instead of carrying on were they left off,turn up with an over weight tub of guts,now they want to do 4 cylinder adventure or what ever you want to call it  :?

Anyone with half a brain would have gone 1000cc VFR and 1300 Blackbird,instead there is one bike a VFR1200 that no bugger likes :?

Bixxer Bob

Good point Chris...  I think Honda have lost their way in recent years.  As if a committee looked at what the rest were doing, picked out what they thought were the essential elements and rolled them all into one bike while thinking how lucky the world is to have a Honda.   Or it could be like their moto GP team, "We are the best motorcycle engineers in the world therefore the rider is not important, and if the bike isn't a winner it must be because the rider is at fault".

This looks like being as big a lemon as the Crossrunner or whatever it's called - that purple cruiser / commuter thing.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jonathan jaecks

Again, Honda, Triumph, etc. are killing power to weight on entirely tractable platforms by adding on shaft drives and extra pounds.  Ugly I can live with, 560 pounds dry I can't.  While I like the idea of having more power, I'm not sure it will do anything but tempt me to use it all the time.  Less weight, no abs, no traction control...put the money in the suspension and brakes...that's the ticket for me.  Yeah, and some decently useful luggage.

Almost forgot, one of the great thing the tigers of the last few years have that Honda and and others have completely missed is range.  I mean really, an AT/ST bike that can only go 160 miles on a tank?

oxnsox

I'm with Jpish here, being of a similar size. For short town and abouts I hop on the Versys, because its lighter and easier for that. And it has a peakiness about it that makes if feel more of a sports or street machine.

But then I get on the heavy old bus of a Girly, and like that torque, and that triple, and (surprisingly) that seat.

I'd like to think the 800 could be both those bikes, if I could chose that option.

I've never had the inkling for a 1050 (Roadie) engined machine, but it'd be nice to be able to take one out for a day. (But theres plenty of other machines I'd put on the day ride list too.)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

I think I had a better balance when I had the 650GS and the 'Bird.  Light and agile vs stable, comfy and fast.  The Girly is too close to the 'Bird; but at least I can semi-retire the 'Bird now, the old girl's done 60k (although you wouldn't know it from the engine) and is gettting a bit scruffy round the edges.  She's more of a fair weather bike now.

Chris Canning

I'd settle for my Supermoto 955 with the 1050 motor in,that would do me nicely,what makes mine so good with the head angle for a 19" front wheel, put a 17 in even two up with kit it steers like a minimoto,not exactly what you could sell to the general public,but does it have an edge to it  :wink:

Triumph have obviously made a marketing to decison to go smaller with 800 for a combi kind of bike,and my gut instinct says this 1200 could be a bit of tank.

Re other bikes,to be honest I ration useing the Tiger,still don't see an obvious replacement although the Multistrada would be an option apart from price,and so it only gets used for quality not quantity biking,I've other stuff for that.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"I was beginning to like the idea of the new sprint gt until I saw that it had marginal suspension, been overfed, and stretched.

I rode one when it came out. Felt ponderous compared to the Sprint ST of the year before that I rode.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.