News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly headlight problem

Started by MikeFromMT, March 12, 2011, 12:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeFromMT

I did a search but came up empty, here's the deal, I have a 2001 Girly, US model, I noticed that my right side high beam barely illuminated (left side was nice and bright ) so thinking my right side high beam was burned out I bought a new set of bulbs only to find I had the same problem, left side low/high beam work fine, right side low beam nice and bright but high beam is just a faint glow, I swapped the wire plugs (put the left side on the right bulb) and it worked fine on low and high beam.  Anybody have any thoughts?  :icon_scratch
Do I look like a man with a plan?

oxnsox

What happened when you swapped them back???
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TigerTrax

I'd be looking at the switch and bulb socket contact/wiring.
The wiring is pretty much straight forward and the ONLY reason to touch the headlight wiring is to install heated grips.... there have been some issues of poor/corroded connections where the grips tap in... I think it's a long shot that would be the issue.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

MikeFromMT

Quote from: "oxnsox"What happened when you swapped them back???

Same thing, so I'm thinking the problem is in the right side wiring and not the bulb, the wire socket is clean and free of any corrosion, I noticed the wires on the right socket are different than the left side but can't figure why that might be or why anybody would have changed them, (I haven't checked my manual to confirm is this is correct or not, yet) I do have heated grips, I'll check that next.  Thanks for the responses!

oxnsox

OK Mike, you lost me.
You had a problem on right Hi. Swapped the plugs over and left was OK Hi and Low ( right was OK with the left plug).
Swapped back and right had an issue again.

Is that correct?   Or did fault swap sides when you swapped plugs?

Have you tried swapping the relays (not the wiring). May be poor relay contact. Or incorrect relay for one side?
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MikeFromMT

Yep, it was a bad relay, I swapped out the ones that the manual said were for the headlights and no dice, then I remembered I'd read here that those relays aren't always in the order they should be, sure enough it worked.  Thanks for the help!   :thumbsup