News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carbs - Help please

Started by Black cat, July 30, 2011, 04:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black cat

Followed Mustang's article on cleaning carbs as I had an idle problem and all was going well until I tried to remove the pilot needle on No. 3 only to find its seized in there':shock:'. Advice please. :('
Black Cat

Triumph Tiger    900 1995
Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Mustang

If the slotted head is screwed up .....
take the entire stripped carb and let it sit in a bucket of carb cleaner for a day or two and then squirt some compressed air thru it .
should clean it out

alternatively ............you will need to drill a hole thru it big enough to get an easy out screw extractor into it , and then replace with new pilot jet

rybes

as long as ya careful and remove any rubber o rings or non metal parts try applyin a little bit of heat to where the jet screws in.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Black cat

Thanks Mustang will try tomorrow hopefully :)
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Black cat

Hi,
soaking in plus gas didn't work. Soakinging in carb cleaner didn't work. Heat didn't work!

I am going to drill it out next week now. However as I want to keep the Steamer for a long time I have bought a used set of carbs as back up and longer term investment.
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Black cat"Hi,
soaking in plus gas didn't work. Soakinging in carb cleaner didn't work. Heat didn't work!

I am going to drill it out next week now. However as I want to keep the Steamer for a long time I have bought a used set of carbs as back up and longer term investment.
There is no way to remove it without drilling, unfortunately.

Getting this done professionally will cost you £40.00 just for them to look at it.  You have done the right thing, and get a second hand set.  I hope you bought Keihin, though :)

rybes

where bouts in norfolk are you black cat ? shame i moved to denmark or i couldve lent a hand, i used to live near norwich. like luke says, youve done the right thing in buyin a new set of carbs. i had to in the end, had the same problem as you but someone in the past tryed to fix it, it didnt work tho. i ended up buyin a set from a sprint
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

I'm afraid drilling will not remove them either. Been there, done that. Have a look in my YAPI thread. Less than 0.2mm sidewall and they still wouldn't come out. So, I was kindly helped out and its time to pay it forward. If you have mikunis and its carb one or two I have spare you can have. 3 is the fubar one.

Edit: mods law, I see 3 on yours is also the problem child :(

CoolHandLuke

Bruken, maybe someone should start collecting these broken Mikunis and making good sets...  I have mine too :)

BruKen

Good idea

Mine are fine except for this

Black cat

QuoteI'm afraid drilling will not remove them either. Been there, done that. Have a look in my YAPI thread. Less than 0.2mm sidewall and they still wouldn't come out. So, I was kindly helped out and its time to pay it forward. If you have mikunis and its carb one or two I have spare you can have. 3 is the fubar one.

Hi - BruKen thanks for the offer and unfortunately it is no3 but I have already bought a  spare set now and should find some time this weekend to try to drill it out and see how it goes.

Must be something about No3 position from your experinece and mine with the carbs and that the No 3 HT coil on my Trophy went faulty in 2009
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Black cat

Hi Rybes,

thanks for the offer of help but as you implied you are rather far away. Ridden over those bridges to Sweden?
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Black cat

Hi CoolHandLuke,

no - Mikunis again I am afraid as I am a glutten for punishment and like to keep my bikes as original as possible.
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Black cat

Well finally got it  out, idle needle that is. with help from a friend, Mark, at work. Using a centre drill to start a hole, as they don't wobble, we then managed to drill a propper hole and used an easy out.

Fitted a new needle, spring and washer, in the order as Mustange said. Just got to fit the carbs back on the bike. I haven't been very quick with this because I got permission to buy, and have done, an 800XC - great Bike. Been up round North of Scotland, Durness, out on to the Isles of Lewis and Harris returning via Sky, Rannoch Moor and Northumberland. :D

However, still not been off road yet.
Black Cat

Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

BruKen

I did that trip last Sept. Lewis is magic   :lol: