News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ear plugs ??

Started by PeteH, August 02, 2011, 12:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

I`m thinking of getting some custom made ones as even the softest that work can provide leave my ears sore after a few hours riding :(

So, what do you use, any recommendations for customs ? I know they`re not cheap, but for a comfotable ride I would`nt mind shelling out.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

KuzzinKenny

Hey PeteH !! i know these aint custom but have ya tryed these......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Howard-Lei ... 4ceefeb2c8

so far they're the best foam ones i've used, very soft !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

Both my wife and I both had a pair done some years ago,interesting feeling having gunge forced in your ear!!,when done felt really nice and comfortable and blocked the sound out,when riding within yards would just move a fraction and be very noisey.

Went back to the guy who made e'm and explained what was going on,he did me another set and they were exactly the same and so was my wifes and we went back to soft plugs,I had years of wear out of the custom plugs when I used them at work they were pefect when there wasn't any buffeting from the wind,and still use them at race meetings,but on a bike just crap.

Sin_Tiger

I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Arranged a fitting by email before I went on leave. Went to the pharmacy appointed, after getting my ears syringed and filled with gunge, I got handed the moulds in a box and told I had to mail them to the plug makers after paying cash for the moulding (not what I had been led to believe). Sent them off, no response for a week so I called them. Your moulds were not of an acceptable quality to make the plugs from so we did nothing,  :evil: not even call or email to tell you  :twisted: , you will have to make another appointment and get them done again!

I am on a plane to the far east tomorrow, I am out of pocket with nothing to show for it after using a contractor you recommended, wasted a day of my leave and have no come back at all. That's correct Sir, have a nice day.  :twisted:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I had years of wear out of the custom plugs when I used them at work they were pefect when there wasn't any buffeting from the wind,and still use them at race meetings,but on a bike just crap.

Clearly it depends on the quality of "technician" that does the molds.
My first set were rubbish as well. Ultimate ear. Didn't fit too well but by the time I made the effort to complain I was told the molds deteriorate and I would need to pay again for new ones.
So, I went elsewhere. Headset Services on Shoreham airport, Sussex were recommended to me and so I went there. They were the only ones to recommend that I put on my helmet whilst waiting for the gunge to set. Makes sense because your helmet moves your ears when you put it on. I've had these current plugs for 5 years now and they're still good. I also got some made with inbuilt monitors so I can listen to music. A God send on a trans-Atlantic flights.
I recommend you use them a lot immediately you get them and if the "seal" breaks when you put on your helmet take them back straight away. A good test is chewing something. If the seal stays when chewing you've got some good ones.
Once you get a working set of this type of ear plug you'll realise what you've been missing. They are easier to fit and remove. They are MUCH more hygienic. And should last for many years.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

Well enough postings already to show it's a bit hit and miss which isn't ideal at the price they are,we've never had a problem with foam plugs(Max1) and just thought we'd try something different,and in fairness never had a conversation about e'm since.

What I did notice when working with my custom plugs when warm they don't allow your ear/skin to breath and very often I'd go to foam plugs after a while.

Give e'm a go,but their certainley not without their risks(financial), a dead cert they ain't.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey PeteH !! i know these aint custom but have ya tryed these......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Howard-Lei ... 4ceefeb2c8

so far they're the best foam ones i've used, very soft !!

KK

Hi KK

Lots of other fun stuff available from the company on your link.  :wink:  :wink: Maybe I can get rid of my comb and vic rub collection now that I don't need to shop at my local chemist anymore. Online shopping just gets better every day :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

KuzzinKenny

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :shock:  :oops:

never noticed that when i posted about the ear plugs  :lol: it is a strange mix tho !! i suppose the ear plugs are, so ya can't hear them scream  :shock:

Yeeeeeehaw !!

:lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

rybes

i use ear plugs all the time. these ones http://www.arco.co.uk/products/230100 worn em for years. not the same pair obviously :lol: got used to wearin em when i was a welder and i think there great. use em for sleepin in too when i used to work nights and plane trips too. stops me hearin all those horrible noises, like kids 10 outta 10 from me on these ones
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

2dogs

I always ride with earplugs and get mine form these guys:

http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/4/index.htm

I use the Laserlite plugs but there are various other optins as well.

Chris Canning

Didn't even know Arco did custom plugs

flaco

I was buying guitar strings in a music shop and picked up a set of earplugs made by Alpine. Drummers use them. They're re-usable and come in a little metal tube which doubles as a keyring. They work, too. I believe Alpine make them for bikers. Recommended.
kernow bys vyken

dickenbacker

Earplugs are an absolute necessity on modern bikes as the screens create so much noise.

I had a custom set made a number of years ago for when I was gigging and despite using them successfully for years with a Guzzi and a GS I've had to retire them after getting the Tiger as the fairing is so awful. I now use the most dense foam plugs I can find.

Soft is no good. You need something to block out the noise and soft won't do it. They have to be firm but comfortable. I can't get into my emails at the moment so I can't find out what company I currently use for earplugs but when I do I'll update the post.

PeteH

Quote from: "rybes"i use ear plugs all the time. these ones http://www.arco.co.uk/products/230100

I used to use those...bit like having a brick in your ear though :wink:

Looks like the general feeling is against custom made and I dont want to waste my hard earned if they dont do the job.
I have found some UVEX plugs in another dept at work..green ones and pretty soft...rated up to 111 db. I will try them out on todays run, as its now Sunday.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

dickenbacker

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "rybes"i use ear plugs all the time. these ones http://www.arco.co.uk/products/230100

I used to use those...bit like having a brick in your ear though :wink:

Looks like the general feeling is against custom made and I dont want to waste my hard earned if they dont do the job.
I have found some UVEX plugs in another dept at work..green ones and pretty soft...rated up to 111 db. I will try them out on todays run, as its now Sunday.

Nothing wrong with custom plugs. As I said, I used them for many years without any issues. Easy to put in and take out. Last forever and are easy to keep clean. The problem is the Tiger's fairing. It's a disaster. I've tried all sorts of screens and brackets and none were anywhere near as good as the screen I had on my old GS.