News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best exhaust options

Started by mtrdrms, August 02, 2011, 03:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

So my exhaust can tip has been leaking for a while around a couple of the bolts that secure it so today I went to take off the tip and all the bolts pulled out the threaded inserts that secure them.  My can is a bit banged up as it is so I was wondering about replacement options.  I really don't want to get anything much louder than stock but wanted to hear about what you all have had good luck with.

Thanks

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

metalguru

Got a Carbon Can Co 3 sided can on mine without the baffle and it does bark a bit but with the baffle is pretty quiet. Works really well with the modded TOR map. The baffle can be adjusted (with a grinder) so it breaths well but not too noisey.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mtrdrms"So my exhaust can tip has been leaking for a while around a couple of the bolts that secure it so today I went to take off the tip and all the bolts pulled out the threaded inserts that secure them.  My can is a bit banged up as it is so I was wondering about replacement options.  I really don't want to get anything much louder than stock but wanted to hear about what you all have had good luck with.

Thanks

Andy

You are asking 'How long is a piece of string' impossible to answer,the Triumph Offroad can is as good as any,but in reality it's all down to personnel taste and money.

If your happy with the stock can and sound buy another, just about everyone on this board must have one tucked under his/her bed,mine was taken off the day of delivery to the shop,only time it was run was at the factory,must be in the house somewhere  :oops:

Yankee Dog

A friend of mine has the Triumph Off Road on his Girley. It is a little louder but not by a lot.

Danny955i

1. I have a stock can with only 7000 miles on it if u want.

2. Remus makes a great exhaust. Leave the baffle in and it sounds rhaspy and.mean without being loud.

rcgomes

Hello, I plan to install  blueflame evo3 trioval on tiger 955, is a good option? and needs new map? I will not lose performance or damage the valves?

Danny955i

Quote from: "rcgomes"Hello, I plan to install  blueflame evo3 trioval on tiger 955, is a good option? and needs new map? I will not lose performance or damage the valves?

Hey there,

No, you will not damage valves by installing an exhaust. Just ensure your valves are in spec before tuning the ecu.

mtrdrms

Thanks for all the replies guys!  The one on my bike seems to be a part number 2200240  is this the stock can?  Just want to make sure its not the off road can before I go ahead and replace it.

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Danny955i

Hoestly, you can have mine for the price of shipping if you want.

mtrdrms

Thanks Danny!  From my understanding the TOR pipe and stock pipe look the same.  How do I know which I have?

-Robert Pirsig

PeteH

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Thanks Danny!  From my understanding the TOR pipe and stock pipe look the same.  How do I know which I have?

My TOR pipe has NOT FOR ROAD USE stamped on it  just behind the footrest hanger, apart from that they are identical.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Thanks for all the replies guys!  The one on my bike seems to be a part number 2200240  is this the stock can?  Just want to make sure its not the off road can before I go ahead and replace it.

Triumph made a lot of money from this mod as the only difference between the road can and the off road can was the core plug baffles were not fitted inside. the best way to see if it is an off road can is to poke a thin piece of wire into the tail pipe and if it stops about half way down against something solid you have a road can, if it goes all the way through the can you have an off road can. So by deduction, to make a road can into off road remove the core plug baffles, there are two, by drilling or hitting it with a sharpened piece of inch bar. Now you have an off road can with all the right stamps on it!     :sign13
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

mtrdrms

Hmmm, love the idea.  Now, where do I get a long piece of sharp 1" bar...

-Robert Pirsig

metalguru

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Hmmm, love the idea.  Now, where do I get a long piece of sharp 1" bar...

REBAR and an angle grinder would be a good starting point. :D
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

ChazzyB

Quote from: "metalguru"Triumph made a lot of money from this mod as the only difference between the road can and the off road can was the core plug baffles were not fitted inside.

Au contraire. On my TOR can, the main tube down the middle is at least 40mm inside diameter, as opposed to 35 on the standard pipe - I've just measured. Just looking at them, side by side, the TOR can has a much greater diameter at the outlet. From memory at fitting time, the TOR can was also somewhat lighter.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S