News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wind power (No I dont mean a hot curry)

Started by Tigertriple, August 04, 2011, 08:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

Here are a couple of pics of my Girly beside some wind turbines that are close to where I live. I think they are excellent. (The wind turbines not the photos) Not everyone agrees.

Interested to hear other peoples opinion on renewable energy  :idea:
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

pastyman

+1 i love wind turbines and think there very theraputic

fraser ross

smoketriples

Excellent at ridding the world of unwanted birds, and in most states use more energy to operate than they produce.

Other than that...way cool.
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

rybes

Quote from: "fraser ross"bloody eysore imho

so youd rather have a power station just up the road with all the smoke and noise plus all the traffic from lorries deliverin loads of fuel and all the staff comin to work and goin home. thumbs up for windmills if ya ask me.

nice pics by the way TT  then again, im biased :lol:

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

fraser ross

do not see my bills coming down,more eco facism

smoketriples

Which is the issue.  Renewable energy is great, but current windmill technology uses more electricity than it produces.  Not to mention ugly, bird killing, noisy.  Given a choice of what I'd choose to live next to, I'd take nuclear first, coal second, oil/natural gas third.

Best power generation for widespread use is currently nuclear.  Unfortunately scaremongers and 30 year old powerplant failures in a catastrophe have likely killed that.....so we'll be on good ole fossil fuel for at least whats left in my lifetime.
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

Sasquatch

I am all for working on power solutions.  But wind power is not economically viable at this time, yet the government is pouring billions into it.  The payback for a wind farm is almost never once you factor in ongoing maintenance costs.  They wear out and need replacements right at about the time they reach payoff, so it never happens.

And the hidden secret is behind a wind farm, you need standard power generation idling at the wait that can be switched on at the moment the wind dies.

I agree that modern nuke is my favorite.

oxnsox

Don't know about them using more power than they produce....
But it is a technology that will eventually deliver economical power (in small doses) to lots of parts of the world.

The whole alternative energy market is very much in the development/infancy stage, but hey every technology has to start somewhere.

I like the idea but like most wouldn't want one over the back fence.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

Do quite a lot on renewable energy sources through work and I have to say that none of it really produces energy in sufficient quantity or in a truly sustainable way.  It doesn't really work properly but it all helps by diversifying the supply.

For the UK, the Severn barrage might be a good idea otherwise I think we are back to nukes.

If you really care about CO2, global warming or the forthcoming 'elephant in the room' energy crisis then you need to think of using less energy.

This is especially true for our American brothers who use more than twice what the average European uses!! (Source: IEA/OECD, Population OECD/World Bank)  European use about twice the world average so still not good.

If you are looking for the easiest, cheapest, quickest fixes with the maximum benefit, then insulate your loft, turn the thermostat down and put a jumper on.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Tigertriple

Quote from: "nickcalne"Do quite a lot on renewable energy sources through work and I have to say that none of it really produces energy in sufficient quantity or in a truly sustainable way.  It doesn't really work properly but it all helps by diversifying the supply.

For the UK, the Severn barrage might be a good idea otherwise I think we are back to nukes.

If you really care about CO2, global warming or the forthcoming 'elephant in the room' energy crisis then you need to think of using less energy.

This is especially true for our American brothers who use more than twice what the average European uses!! (Source: IEA/OECD, Population OECD/World Bank)  European use about twice the world average so still not good.

If you are looking for the easiest, cheapest, quickest fixes with the maximum benefit, then insulate your loft, turn the thermostat down and put a jumper on.

Spot on. I have just added more insulation to my loft and fitted thermostatic valves to my radiators. Looking forward to a warmer and more efficient house this Winter.

Don't do jumpers though.  :lol:
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

KuzzinKenny

I like the way this guy thinks  :thumbsup

http://www.scoraigwind.com/

he's been utility bill free for years  :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

smoketriples

me and my family are pretty low consumption....cars all get over 30mpgs, a couple of 'em over 50, boat is powered by wind, etc.  

Wind electricity wouldn't work here, we get cold and the power required to de-ice them is more than they can produce.  I'd love a mini nuke power plant.  Bolt that sucker up and never worry about power again :)
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

NKL

Eco babble, its all a load of sh#t. The world is only warming up to its natural temperature and there is sod all we can do about it.
The most efficient power production is coal, but Thatcher destroyed our coal industry so now we have to rely on foreign gas, even though we had hundreds of years of coal reserves and coal power stations can be just as clean as gas, the technology was there but it was more important to bash the miners.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

KuzzinKenny

DON'T get me started on that ###### ### !!!!!!!!!!

i'm not alone...........

when do we start diggin   :twisted:

KK

ps sorry for the hijack  :roll:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly