News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

An (hopefully this weekend) new Steamer owner.

Started by Rapier, September 16, 2011, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

Hello everyone!
Just an introductory note to the members of the board.
I have been reading / lurking on site for a while now, and it looks as if I will be getting a 1996 Tiger this weekend (unless the silly laws in NC become too big of a deal then it will be the next).

A thank you too all the members who contribute their knowledge to the board as I will be shamelessly using your knowledge.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

rybes

you wont regret gettin one ;) just hope ya like gettin ya hands dirty  :lol:  but once ya got any lil niggles sorted itll run for ever and be a smile machine if ever there was one
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nick Calne

Hi post some pictures when you get it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

BruKen

Another eccentric  :lol:  :lol: You've come to the right place then. Welcome

Rapier

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I have been known by many titles, eccentric will just be the newest :twisted: ...

Assuming it comes home this weekend to the stable; the camera is already in the garage.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Rapier

Well there is now a Triumph Tiger Steamer in the stable. Nice 150 mile ride home, highway and twisties.
Corbin Seat
Heated grips
Topcase (need to find a way to get my Krauser bags on her)
Haynes Service and Repair Manual
Airbox upgrade
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

rybes

nice lookin bike ya have there. how does it run with those pod filters? tigers aint supposed to work properly with them on
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Rapier

Since this is my first Tiger (Had a Legend TT) I am not 100%.
The sound from the engine sounds 'normal' from other triples. I'd really like to find another Steamer close to RTP NC to compare.
I am thinking it might go through gas faster though.

Filled up and reset the trip meter, rode 150 miles. The low fuel light was not on, but I could not see any gas to the hump in the tank when I got her home.
However I do not know where the fuel level should be. And there may have been a bit of 6K to 7K+ on the highway 'just to verify' the engine...
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

BruKen

Oh you've gone and done it now  :lol:  Welcome to the addiction. Good colour choice too. Hope you enjoy her as much as I do mine :occasion14

Rapier

Thanks rybes, but no addiction here, I can stop any time I want.  :new_all_coholic
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

those pods don't like getting wet , all's good if your a fair weather rider though  :P

Rapier

Um, crud.
I am assuming by 'fair weather' you mean the rain / snow (I used to live in WV) has stopped going horizontal when the bike is standing still???

Mustang, having read many of the posts you have written (you have made my short list... not so short :lol: ) do you think getting 3 (or 2) of these would correct the problem, or returning it to stock?

http://store.knfilters.com/search/produ ... =RU-2780DK
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

they would be better than nothing I myself wouldn't even consider K&N for an air filter on a bike that I myself ride on dusty dirt roads , there's a reason they can flow 50% more air , they can flow more fine dust too . just hold one up to a light and then do the same with the stock filter , pretty obvious which one will stop more dust .

Sure the air box on a steamer is a pain in the ass to change the filter , but it does work well at keeping fine particulates out of the engine , valves and rings don't much care for dirt .

The choice is yours , and yours alone .
Me ,the stock box would be back on there tomorrow :shock:

Rapier

I will put that on my even longer short list  :?
I think that will go below me tuneing up / service maint and above LED upgrades.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Bob Tosi

Welcome! Sweet ride you have.  Just in case no one told you the Green ones are really the fastest!
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"