News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air box mod

Started by PeteH, January 20, 2012, 05:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

While the tanks off getting a paint bubble sorted I thought I might as well throw some new plugs in and fit a K & N filter.
Looking inside, theres a metal blanking plate with a plastic bit fitted to it..remove it?
Also the rubber nozzels look a bit cramped so I was thinking of cutting them down a bit...

Any thoughts?
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

There has been war and peace written about this and the general concensus is to remove it and send it in a parabolic curve to the nearest bin.
Have a look on the search button, it will reveal loads of write ups.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

jp7rgv

Quote from: "PeteH"I thought I might as well throw some new plugs in and fit a K & N filter.

i purchase a DNA filter and it's great.
better made quality than K & N.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "jp7rgv"
Quote from: "PeteH"I thought I might as well throw some new plugs in and fit a K & N filter.

i purchase a DNA filter and it's great.
better made quality than K & N.

They are,I use e'm both on my K1200 and my XT,but they should be better their a dam sight more expensive,the joys of buying a product from Greece!!,anyone in the Uk want to go the same route,this guy is the importer and sole supplier.

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Contact.html

There you go.

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/DN ... -7550.html

PeteH

Ok...could`nt split the airbox to remove the plate and I was`nt going to start hacking at in place. So I removed the two rubber inlets and cut them down...then I thought... maybe they should be on the outside of the box :?:  the diagram in Bikebandit sort of confirms this :oops:

Anyway, the new filters in, but it was a pig to get two of the screws back in, which resuted in getting the taps out due to crossing the threads :x

Chris Canning

Quote from: "PeteH"Ok...could`nt split the airbox to remove the plate and I was`nt going to start hacking at in place. So I removed the two rubber inlets and cut them down...then I thought... maybe they should be on the outside of the box :?:  the diagram in Bikebandit sort of confirms this :oops:

Anyway, the new filters in, but it was a pig to get two of the screws back in, which resuted in getting the taps out due to crossing the threads :x

Who hasn't read the airbox thread :D ,under no circumstances try to open the airbox(even off the bike),Triumph punched the threads so halfway out they turn in the other half and your knackered.

As for taking the center out,either dremel or soldering iron,it's all in the post,with photos

But what isn't!! my experience is with a 955i not an 855i,the 885i is a different animal so what the end result would/will be?,maybe the same as a 955(the 885i could do with it) or maybe not and your off into the unknown.

PeteH

Chris, it was your airbox mod that inspired me to this, unfortunately the plate isnt plastic but metal :shock:  and the two screws I was on about where for the filter housing that would`nt seat properly.

Now to start another thread on steering head bearings :wink:

Chris Canning

What do the 2 screws go into,the inside of the airbox looks the same and the metal plate isn't recessed into the outer edge of airbox.

Or do the same as me as I wasn't sure what the hell was going on with mine,I bought a spare airbox and found out how to do it then swapped e'm over.

PeteH

Not the best of photos... but there are actually 4 screws that hold the plastic duct in place, and yes the metal plate is captured by the airbox recess :cry: