News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top Gear Noise...Help Appreciated.

Started by DeuceBG, January 30, 2012, 07:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeuceBG

I get a kind of whine / hum whilst cruising in top and the techie says it's the square cut top gear.
The top gear cog is apparently square cut and hardened for longevity as it gets the most use out of the whole box (theoretically based upon the type of riding you do I guess).
I know HD had a problem with this a few years back so is he right?
Is it a common thing with Tigers too?
I don't recall my new one doing it in 04 but one of my new HDs did.
Doesn't seem to affect the power etc but if it's not right I want to get it done before the warranty runs out.

Thanks in advance.
Deuce
Black 2006 955i Tiger
Denim Black 2011 Harley Streetbob bored out to 103"

Timbox2

First thing Id do is check the chain tension, Tigers like a fairly loose chain, if you go by the manual you can end up with a tight chain when sitting on the bike and this can cause a whining.
2016 Tiger Sport

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Timbox2"First thing Id do is check the chain tension, Tigers like a fairly loose chain, if you go by the manual you can end up with a tight chain when sitting on the bike and this can cause a whining.

The chain was very tight when I first got it but I've reset it now and have about 30mm when sat on the bike.
Do you think I still need a bit more?
Black 2006 955i Tiger

Timbox2

Quote from: "DeuceBG"
Quote from: "Timbox2"First thing Id do is check the chain tension, Tigers like a fairly loose chain, if you go by the manual you can end up with a tight chain when sitting on the bike and this can cause a whining.

The chain was very tight when I first got it but I've reset it now and have about 30mm when sat on the bike.

No, that should be fine, I cant remember if mine made more of a noise in top than other gears, but I do remember that if I was ever riding next to concrete barriers etc on the motorway I used to get quite a whine/hum reflecting back, was like it for 30k miles.
2016 Tiger Sport

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "DeuceBG"

No, that should be fine, I cant remember if mine made more of a noise in top than other gears, but I do remember that if I was ever riding next to concrete barriers etc on the motorway I used to get quite a whine/hum reflecting back, was like it for 30k miles.

Probably ok then Tim.
As I said, the newer HDs do it but they made it less noticeable in the latest models somehow.
Thanks for your input.
Black 2006 955i Tiger

Chris Canning

With a set of plugs in I can't hear jack when I'm riding never mind a whine or hum  :oops:

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"With a set of plugs in I can't hear jack when I'm riding never mind a whine or hum  :oops:

Or me when I remember to put the buggers in :oops:

was a joke in the motor trade years back, customer complaining of strange noise from car, Not got Radio loud enough
2016 Tiger Sport