News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My cats afraid of water :)

Started by Hossboro, February 09, 2012, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Oh well, we still learned something even if it's a "don't try this" :lol:

Has the wet filter idea got legs?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Oh well, we still learned something even if it's a "don't try this" :lol:

Has the wet filter idea got legs?
he still aint given an answer as to what coils are on the beast ...........
and I'd like to know if it's got the std 105 mains in it or not , have seen far too many triumphs that idiotic dealers and PO's have put way too big of mains in them and all they do is sputter and stutter when conditions aren't perfect .

nightrunner

This only happens in heavy rain, eh?  I have this crazy theory that there is some water in the bottom of your tank.  Somehow in heavy rain more is getting in and getting sucked into the fuel petcock.  My suggestion is to remove the tank and dump all the gas into a gas-approved container.   Make sure the tank is completely empty.  Then pour it off back into the tank but stop when you get to the last bit and look for water.  Use a glass container if you have to.  If this is the problem, then get some of that water dispersant stuff they sell for cars in cold climates.  Its a long shot but not a lot of work to check it.

The only other difference when its raining is 100% humidity which may be affecting performance IF you are already running very very lean to begin with.  Another long-shot.  But it is an odd set of symptoms.

Good luck!
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

nightrunner

OK, another off the wall thought.  In heavy rain some water may be getting past the rad or various gaps to get the plug boots wet.  Is it possible that the spark is grounding out?  I switched to TT600 coils but I do recall that the stock boots are not exactly a firm water-tight fit.  More like a dust cover for the recessed plugs.  Could also be a tiny crack in one or more plug wires.  The water provides a path to ground that is not there when its dry.
Scott

Hossboro

All suggestions will be looked into of course and thnx guys for pointing me in many directions :P
Sorry for not getting back to ya about the coils Mustang, truth is I ride just about everyday out of need, ad never really get much chance to do anything except talk about what I want to do.  Will make a real effort to keep you posted.
As for the air filter, don't think its been changed i a while, just blown out with air last couple times, so thats gonna be my first thing on the list, cos although i'm not a tech head in any way shape or form, I do get a gut feeling that its possibly gonna be that. ( and anybody got pics of how the snorkel should look, cos truth is i've never seen a tiger setup, so not sure what to look for..
Oh and the thing about the fuel tank and water, thats on my list aswell, I know it does sound a little crazy, but can't get it out of my head that the last 2 times its happened I do believe I just filled up hmmmmm.

Don't give up on me i will let you know the outcome, thnx again guys....

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Geoff W

If you want to look at my 96 steamer, I live about 12 miles from Billingham.
PM me.
Geoff.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Hossboro

Ok so its took forever to get any update on the cats afraid of water subject.
Truth is, its been a very strange and difficult problem to pin down but maybe theres light at the end of the tunnel or not (gettin a bit confused).
As for the coils Gills is the answer, but not sure thats the problem now hmm get complicated from here on (to me anyway).
I'm airing on the side of Head gasket now and my local garage seem to think the same, but is nagging at me that its a big job specialy if its not.

Ok so had 2 occasions recently (about 2 weeks apart) travelling to work, when engine warmed up a little open the throttle and she starts to missfire and struggles for power (ok if easy on the throttle) then after maybe about a mile or so more she started to throw out very big plumes of white smoke (very bad) immediatly i think head gasket gone from previous experience with car,  by the time i get to work its eased off and when leaving work its then all ok.
I arrived at work the second time this happened and thought to check the oil dipstick, showed deff signs of water contamination, but not seen this since on other checks.  Could this just be my imagination or is it the head hmmm,  is it possibly only happening as the engine heats up and the gasket the allows water through.  Would love you thoughts before I go ahead and get the head done..  
Oh and no its not using masses of water either, just maybe tiny amounts.

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

metalguru

As we havn't had any weather in this country I am inclined to think the white smoke could be condensation as it disappears when warm, same with small amounts of water on the dipstick.

May be an idea to check the inlet manifold rubbers as they can cause problems, undo the clamps between the carbs and cylinder head and see if they are in good condition.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nightrunner

Did you ever verify there is no water sloshing around in the tank?   Do they sell the water dispersant stuff in the UK?  Its normally used to get rid of condensation in car gas tanks in the winter.  If you can get it, then a can would be a cheap investment.

If its a head gasket then I would think a compression check would be in order to verify before you pull the head on a guess.

Good luck.  Sounds like a real gremlin.
Scott

Hossboro

Thnx Nightrunner, i'm sorry to say that I have not checked the water in the tank thing yet but could be something for the future.  Truth is that MetaLguru may have hit the nail on the head,  got time today to have a good look around and YEP the rubber seals from the carb to the head are very warn and cracked, also the rocker cover gasket could do with replacing and sorting out, this would in my mind deff explain pretty much the problem I have with power loss, both in the wet and dry as its getting now, knock on effect to plugs and everything else i bet too.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to were I cab source reasonably priced rubber seals and gasket..    

Thx guys for all the help, without you i'd be a car driver maybe  :lol:

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

rybes

from what ui can remember mate they aint that bad a price from triumph.
7 quid each. no.7

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

metalguru

Quote from: "rybes"from what ui can remember mate they aint that bad a price from triumph.
7 quid each. no.7

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773

Just make sure you don't get the restricted ones.
These can be identified by 3 indents on the out side, and smaller inside diameter.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Hossboro

Thanx guys, looks spot on for parts.  Only thing bugs me is how do ya know which is which,  engine No 55615 or 55616  my engine number is nothing like that, at work so can't remember what it is but starts 052 something.  Or am I missing something here   :?

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Mustang

all the vin #s on steamers start with a zero stamped in the block 55615 is really marked as 055615 as the last six digits on the block .

and 55615 and below is for mikuni carbs and 55616 and up is for Keihin carbs
so just order the ones that are for whatever carbs you have .

Hossboro

Cheers Mustang  8)
Always glad to hear your advice, Mikuni carbs are the ones.  Why don't they just say that, would be so much easier for us non techs  :lol:

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red