News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Will a 95 tiger have access plate?

Started by dmerc, February 23, 2012, 11:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmerc

Will it have the access plate for the starter sprag? Haven't looked at the bike yet. Just trying to find out what I should expect.

PompeyLad

Mine doesn't. Not sure exactly when the change was made though.

Mustang

Quote from: "dmerc"Will it have the access plate for the starter sprag? Haven't looked at the bike yet. Just trying to find out what I should expect.
nope....the change was made well before any US models ever came stateside , and 95's were the first USA models .

Mustang

Do Not ....repeat DO NOT try to start it with a weak battery , that is what will kill the sprag in short order . if it aint spinning at full speed stop and get a charger on it or a new battery .
You have been warned  :shock:

dmerc

Quote from: "Mustang"Do Not ....repeat DO NOT try to start it with a weak battery , that is what will kill the sprag in short order . if it aint spinning at full speed stop and get a charger on it or a new battery .

Got it. If the sprag is already damaged I assume the starter motor will spin but the engine will not turn over. Is that correct? also has an affect on the Alternator?

Mustang

the sprag is just a wimpy clutch that shares the same shaft as the alternator drive , which is driven off the clutch hub .

somewhere on here is a pic of a buggered steamer sprag , it's nothing but a little steel spring that goes around a hub .

if the sprag is damaged you will know ........the motor will go rrrrr, rrrr, rrrr, bang , clank bang some more clanks , try to spin again and bang and clang some more

97tiger885

Quote from: "dmerc"
Quote from: "Mustang"Do Not ....repeat DO NOT try to start it with a weak battery , that is what will kill the sprag in short order . if it aint spinning at full speed stop and get a charger on it or a new battery .

Got it. If the sprag is already damaged I assume the starter motor will spin but the engine will not turn over. Is that correct? also has an affect on the Alternator?

Being undisclipined and inclined to crank until the end of the world, I decided that the solution to this problem was to mount a voltmeter.  Once the reading drops to the danger zone, I use all of the good sense I can find to stop cranking and put on the battery charger or get a jump.