News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slow Speed Wobble

Started by DeuceBG, March 03, 2012, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeuceBG

I have tried to search for this topic but to no avail so....My Girly is great at speed but seems to develop a sort of wandering feel at slow speeds and on roundabouts etc.
I have new Trail Attacks and wondered if they may be the problem.
My other bike is a HD Dyna with a low centre of gravity and feels very stable and planted on the road so is it just me?
Any advice welcomed.

:?
Black 2006 955i Tiger
Denim Black 2011 Harley Streetbob bored out to 103"

Bixxer Bob

I had a slow speed weave / vagueness with my Blackbird when I did the taper head bearing upgrade. I changed tyres, wheel bearings and played around with all sorts of other stuff none of which worked. Eventually I reverted back to the bearings Mr Honda designed and the problem went away.  I subsequently learned, after reading some race setup info on the web, that taper heads are notoriously difficult to set up.  So I didn't feel to bad.  So, in short, I'd take a look at your head bearing settings before you go wasting time and money. :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I had a slow speed weave / vagueness with my Blackbird when I did the taper head bearing upgrade. I changed tyres, wheel bearings and played around with all sorts of other stuff none of which worked. Eventually I reverted back to the bearings Mr Honda designed and the problem went away.  I subsequently learned, after reading some race setup info on the web, that taper heads are notoriously difficult to set up.  So I didn't feel to bad.  So, in short, I'd take a look at your head bearing settings before you go wasting time and money. :D

Thanks Bob.
I'm not too experienced in that area.
I have a tendency of being somewhat heavy handed with nuts and bolts etc.
I do quite a bit of stuff myself but I usually leave the fine tuning to those in the know.

Any hints and tips here?

I have also read some threads on tyre pressures / condition and fork height which may or may not point me in the right direction.

My tyres are brand new and not worn in at all and a few pounds low (about 3psi) but I can't see that being too problematic.
Also, the forks are at the top of the top yoke and I've read that they should be 10 - 15mm down for better handling.

Any thoughts?
Black 2006 955i Tiger

Timbox2

Having  had the same issues on my Tiger I would agree with BB and have a look at your head bearings.

With the front of the bike off the ground try turning the bars very gently side to side, on mine it was just noticeable at the straight ahead position that there was a notch, but only just perceptible, as yours it was amplified at slower speeds and going over white lines etc.

It was one of the few jobs I decided to get the dealer to do, more to do with time constraints than anything else.
2016 Tiger Sport

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Timbox2"Having  had the same issues on my Tiger I would agree with BB and have a look at your head bearings.

With the front of the bike off the ground try turning the bars very gently side to side, on mine it was just noticeable at the straight ahead position that there was a notch, but only just perceptible, as yours it was amplified at slower speeds and going over white lines etc.

It was one of the few jobs I decided to get the dealer to do, more to do with time constraints than anything else.

Just been out and checked the steering.
Is it just mine or do all Tigers still have both wheels on the ground even when it's on the C/S??
Anyway, very noticeable notch at 12 oclock.
Self centering steering syndrone.
I think you guys have cracked it for me.
Phone call to Webbs is on the cards for tomorrow!!
Black 2006 955i Tiger

metalguru

+1 on what the others are saying as after tyre pressures then next place to look. Have had issues with all three Tigers I have owned and had to replace the head bearings on all, (but I am Fussy)!

Although written for steamers the theory is the same,

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4611

If you need more tech info can email the manual page(s).
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

DeuceBG

Quote from: "metalguru"+1 on what the others are saying as after tyre pressures then next place to look. Have had issues with all three Tigers I have owned and had to replace the head bearings on all, (but I am Fussy)!

Thanks for the link and the input.
Being a lazy b#####d and much preferring to ride than to spanner I'll be calling my local dealer tomorrow and hoping the second call isn't to my mortgage company!!
 :shock:
Black 2006 955i Tiger

metalguru

Get the Stealer to change the fork oil while they are there as they have to strip out the front end anyway.  :idea:
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

DeuceBG

Quote from: "metalguru"Get the Stealer to change the fork oil while they are there as they have to strip out the front end anyway.  :idea:

Thought about that.
Any recommendations or just standard stuff?
Black 2006 955i Tiger

metalguru

Dangerous ground here........If you like the ride then stick to standard grade oil........BUT you could open the floodgates of experiences with different grades, springs, emulators, etc.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

Quote from: "DeuceBG"
Quote from: "metalguru"+1 on what the others are saying as after tyre pressures then next place to look. Have had issues with all three Tigers I have owned and had to replace the head bearings on all, (but I am Fussy)!

Thanks for the link and the input.
Being a lazy b#####d and much preferring to ride than to spanner I'll be calling my local dealer tomorrow and hoping the second call isn't to my mortgage company!!
 :shock:

Timbox will be along no doubt,the lazy bugger  :D  paid to have his done at a dealer and got e'm done for peanuts so maybe not so daft after all.

And sometimes it pays!!,we had a GSXR750 in on thursday for a service,it took 3 hours thurs afternoon and 5 on friday to dig a jammed HT cap out of the cam box well,it had never had the plug changed on the one cylinder depite him having had it serviced else were :twisted:,and of course only wanted to pay for a service!!

DeuceBG

Quote from: "metalguru"Dangerous ground here........If you like the ride then stick to standard grade oil........BUT you could open the floodgates of experiences with different grades, springs, emulators, etc.

Similar to HD territory then.
Standard will do for me I guess although I've yet to ride her much.
I'm planning to use her for work when it gets a bit less frosty and grim.
My last one rode great but it was brand new back in 2004.
This one feels smooth and grunty and sounds really well since I fitted the Race Can (no engine management light this time either which I thought strange).
I'll stick with stock as all my riding will be on road.
Although Lincolnshire's roads are practically dirt tracks anyway these days!!   :(
Black 2006 955i Tiger

PeteH

Just done my head bearings...fork oil...and a few other bits while the tank was off  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10803 check out the the 2006 prices :(  then check bearing prices at Triumph online :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

DeuceBG

Quote from: "PeteH"Just done my head bearings...fork oil...and a few other bits while the tank was off  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10803 check out the the 2006 prices :(  then check bearing prices at Triumph online :)

Just had a quote from my local Triumph dealer:

Supply / fit new head bearings top and bottom.
Replace fork oil.
Re-map ECU to suit new can I fitted last week.
Loan bike.
£180 all in.

Not too bad I reckon.
Black 2006 955i Tiger

PeteH

Quote from: "DeuceBG"Just had a quote from my local Triumph dealer:

Supply / fit new head bearings top and bottom.
Replace fork oil.
Re-map ECU to suit new can I fitted last week.
Loan bike.
£180 all in.

Not too bad I reckon.

Sounds good to me, think I was ripped off :(  just make sure they take your tank off  or at the very least protect it where the spanners will be working....just like my dealer did`nt :x
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour