News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slow Speed Wobble

Started by DeuceBG, March 03, 2012, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

Quote from: "DeuceBG"
Quote from: "Timbox2"Is it just mine or do all Tigers still have both wheels on the ground even when it's on the C/S??

My rear wheel clears the ground by quite a way. Check your centre stand mounts.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

DeuceBG

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Timbox2"Is it just mine or do all Tigers still have both wheels on the ground even when it's on the C/S??

Already done that and replaced them as they looked a little bent.
What flagged that up originally was the fact that the bike leans to the right when on the C/S but I've since read posts where others are the same.
Bit of an oddity that!!
Everything seems to be straight and happy down there now but I have to but at least an inch or timber underneath to get any real ground clearence.
Black 2006 955i Tiger
Denim Black 2011 Harley Streetbob bored out to 103"

metalguru

Quote from: "ChazzyB"

Already done that and replaced them as they looked a little bent.
What flagged that up originally was the fact that the bike leans to the right when on the C/S but I've since read posts where others are the same.
Bit of an oddity that!!
Everything seems to be straight and happy down there now but I have to but at least an inch or timber underneath to get any real ground clearence.

Could be the bike has been lowered in the past and the centre stand has been cut down to suit, does it lean over a lot on the side stand?

Overall length of mine on the left side is 14 1/4".
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Sin_Tiger

Or maybe someone has fitted a C/S from a road Triumph of the same era?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

XJC

As an 06 stock bike, my rear wheel cleared by about an inch on the cs. I replaced my front forks with revamped but possibly older forks and now the rear drags. I can still turn it but it takes a bit of effort. For me it's the front forks sitting a bit higher that drops the rear.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

DeuceBG

Quote from: "XJC"As an 06 stock bike, my rear wheel cleared by about an inch on the cs. I replaced my front forks with revamped but possibly older forks and now the rear drags. I can still turn it but it takes a bit of effort. For me it's the front forks sitting a bit higher that drops the rear.

X.

Maybe it's because the forks are level with the top yoke and not 10 - 15mm down?
Black 2006 955i Tiger

XJC

QuoteMaybe it's because the forks are level with the top yoke and not 10 - 15mm down?

That would do it.

Mine are the standard 10-15mm so I assume longer travel causing the dragging rear.

DeuceBG

Quote from: "XJC"Maybe it's because the forks are level with the top yoke and not 10 - 15mm down?

That would do it.

Mine are the standard 10-15mm so I assume longer travel causing the dragging rear.

I might ask them to put them back to stock when it goes in at the weekend.
Black 2006 955i Tiger

Mustang

you do realize that flush with the yoke top is the stock factory setting ................pulled up 10-15mm is what most of us have learned works better for overall handling in the twistys .

as far as the wheels not coming off the ground on the centerstand , you will find that the stops are bent on the factory centerstand which is  a POS. very common problem on the Girly bikes .

try the search button .lots of info about it  :shock: somewhere in the search you should find the cure for the centerstand blues too  :D

XJC

I didn't realise that, thanks.

Will check for bent stops.

X.

Chris Canning

Re the forks wooooo hang on boys,10/15mm on a pre 04 bike is a lot,I found over the 8/10mm setting the bike had a tendency to tuck when diving into a corner but each to his own.

Go doing that on a post 05 with a steeper head angle blimey  :shock: ,thats going to get interesting at sometime,I've never considered it practical to put a 17" on a post 04 bike purely because of the steepened head angle,but if anyone has!! I'm all ears  :D

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Mustang"you do realize that flush with the yoke top is the stock factory setting ................ :D

No I didn't but I do now...thanks.
If that's the case then that's where they'll stay.
I'm not fussed about turning it into a more sporty animal, I just want powerful reliability with confident handling which thanks (I hope) to the knackered head bearings, it doesn't yet have.
By Saturday afternoon I'm hoping all will be well.
Black 2006 955i Tiger

XJC

Nipped out to the garage to check.

Forks set to 5mm above the yoke.
CS stops - bent.

Once again, the knowledge shared on this forum helps out this Philistine.

Thanks,
X.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "XJC"Nipped out to the garage to check.

CS stops - bent.

Thanks,
X.

Ah, a man from Philly in South Ayrshire  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

XJC

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "XJC"Nipped out to the garage to check.

CS stops - bent.

Thanks,
X.

Ah, a man from Philly in South Ayrshire  :lol:

:D Aye, and the population's rising exponentially.

X.