News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

unsteady flasher relay?

Started by Marc, April 06, 2012, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

the indicators of my 2003 Girly flashes unsteady, according to the engine revs.  Idling = normal, when increasing the throttle the flashing speed is much faster.  Any idea :?:  (note: the indicator lights are OK)
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

metalguru

If the lamps wiring and switch are all good then replace flasher relay. These are standard relays used for cars/bikes etc so a second hand one from a scrap yard will do just fine, the cost new is quite high, but could be very much less from a scrap yard!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

Could be a bad earth somewhere as this can cause what you're seeing.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Don't disagree with the above, but I'm scratching my head trying to think why the flash speed would increase with engine revs. Flash speed is related to resistance hence it changes if a bulb blows or you fit LEDs. Why would resistance change with revs?

Edit; unless your volts are increasing too, have you checked volts across the battery as revs rise?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Don't disagree with the above, but I'm scratching my head trying to think why the flash speed would increase with engine revs. Flash speed is related to resistance hence it changes if a bulb blows or you fit LEDs. Why would resistance change with revs?

Edit; unless your volts are increasing too, have you checked volts across the battery as revs rise?

With the old bi-metal flasher units ie old 70s Hondas they either worked or not and if one was keen could alter the flashing rate by 'adjustment' of the bi-metal strip.

However,

Triumph use a relay controlled by a multi-vibrater.
Don't get excited....this is electronic vibrations ie on-off at a certain frequency, this frequency is controlled by a resister or two to bring the oscilations to on about every second. This on time will then energise the relay and switch the lamps on.

If the resistance of the relay to lamp circuit alters, so does the flash rate.
ie bad connection, lamp earth, corroded switch, and of course LEDs or open circuit, relay senses volts in/out to give warning of blown lamp, (quicker flash but steady speed).

If the internal resistance of the relay alters, so does the flash rate,
ie water ingress inside the relay case, the controlling resisters faulty, causing unregulated voltage across the multi-vibrater, hence revving up can give higher voltage at the multi-vibrater, increasing the flash rate.

Usually it is water/damp ingress causing corrosion of the printed circuit.
The relay should always be mounted so the connectors are underneath.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Marc

Hmm, this is all very interesting to me.

I didn't mention that I replaced the indicator on the dashboard by a LED.  
The bulbs are original.
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

metalguru

Quote from: "Marc"Hmm, this is all very interesting to me.

I didn't mention that I replaced the indicator on the dashboard by a LED.  
The bulbs are original.

Unless the relay has broken then the LED repeater should not alter the rate.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

MG, understand all that, but it still doesn't tie in the relationship with RPM.  How's the change in revs change the resistance?  If it was a bad connection it would be erratic or permanent.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Yes BB you are quite right and i just love senior moments as can't remember having them and what I set out to answer!!

Cannot remember off the top of my head the operating voltage of the multi-vibrator but if the reg goes wrong or shorted the thing will be seeing charging voltage. Although the flash frequency is slower (albeit still fast) at idle, as revs increase the flash rate also does.

Of course depending on the fault Ohms law can be applied.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Which is why I asked about volts across the battery.  I don't want to scare the guy but I was thinking iffy reg...... :?

metalguru

:iagree

Good place to check
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Stitch

Ground for the turn signal relay is also tied in with the headlamps so a higher headlamp output might be seen when the fast flashing rate occurs. Even if it does brighten up a bit, a voltage/amperage check is first on the list to do followed by the ground union being clean and tight (prior to the battery's negative cable).
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Marc

QuoteEdit; unless your volts are increasing too, have you checked volts across the battery as revs rise?
I'll check this a soon as possible.  (I replaced the battery a few months ago.)

QuoteI don't want to scare the guy but I was thinking iffy reg...... Confused
BB, what's iffy reg..  ?  (bad regulator??)
I am doing well with mechanics, but I'm afraid I must pass on electronics  :(
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

John Stenhouse

Girly weak spot is the charging circuit, check the voltage going into the battery with the engine running at various revs.

Reg is the regulator which governs how much the alternator puts into the battery, a known weakness on these bikes.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

As JS says,  iffy = suspect, reg = regulator.  If it's unserviceable you can find as much as 17 volts across the battery with the engine running, which will very quickly boil the battery.  I recently had 17v on my Blackbirdbut caught it earlyso battery was ok.  Symptom was blowing bulbs. As you aren't doing that I don't expect your volts to be that high.  I really hope I'm wrong but logically I can't come up with any other reason for flash speed to be related to revs.