News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i Tiger.. My issues & possible fixes !!! Help !

Started by tedmagnum, April 12, 2012, 05:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedmagnum

Hi all.. New Tiger owner here...

Just bought one of these yesterday.. 02 model with 44,000 miles.

It was lovely on the test ride....

But !!!! On the 100 mile ride home a few things became apparent.

1) Rattling/clicking from the top end. So loud I could hear it over the also dreadful wind blast. At 44,000 miles, I'm going to do the valve clearances and see if that's the issue. I've also heard that the header pipes can cause this noise through bad sealing.  Ideas ??

2) Surging... This pussy cat is a PIG under 3000rpm. Horrible in slow moving traffic. Combined with a stiff clutch, it's not much fun.

I've heard about getting a different engine map and also you can get an O2 sensor eliminator which can also fix it. Any experiences ??

3) Really stiff clutch.... The lever is badly positioned and my fingers were ACHING after a couple of hours. I hear the adjustable lever of the 595 fits on and helps. Cable looks new and moves freely.

4) Windblast.. I heard it was bad but OH MY GOD !! How did this bike make it through quality control. My head was about to fall off when I got home. I couldn't hear for hours.. Terrible...

What's the best replacement screen.. Those MRA Varios are WAY EXPENSIVE  

Any cheaper options ?? I'm 6' tall.

Apart from that I was very impressed. It it a lovely bike to ride in the bends (once you get used to the top heavy 'fall into the corner' feeling)

Loads of power and really smooth on the motorway. I really like the seating position, the brakes are really strong and the suspension on mine was nice and firm (I think someone has fettled in the past).

I can't wait to give it a proper beasting

Mustang

Welcome to the world of tigger ownership ...........

some of your questions can be answered from the links here

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

the rattling is ?????
I'd check the cam chain tensioner though with 40,xxx miles
could be sloppy clearances on valves
won't know till you start looking into it
could be anything causing it

the wind blast can sometimes be as simple as moving the mirrors out away from the fairing with mirror extenders . try taking the mirrors off and go for a ride and see if the noise is reduced .

everyone always searches for the holy grail of the windshield , some find nirvana some never do .
palmers are supposed to be good but if you think a vario is expensive then the palmer is not for you .

tedmagnum

Quote from: "Mustang"Welcome to the world of tigger ownership ...........

some of your questions can be answered from the links here

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

the rattling is ?????
I'd check the cam chain tensioner though with 40,xxx miles
could be sloppy clearances on valves
won't know till you start looking into it
could be anything causing it

the wind blast can sometimes be as simple as moving the mirrors out away from the fairing with mirror extenders . try taking the mirrors off and go for a ride and see if the noise is reduced .

everyone always searches for the holy grail of the windshield , some find nirvana some never do .
palmers are supposed to be good but if you think a vario is expensive then the palmer is not for you .

Cheers mate !!

I've got mirror extenders already..  I'll keep my eyes on Ebay for a screen. Until then it's super fat ear plugs and ill have to remove the peak off my helmet..

Yup, as you say.. I'm going to dig into the top end as soon as I finish working on my other projects..

Too many projects, so little time...  lol

Bixxer Bob

IACV and associated air tubes are key to solving the rough running, loads been written, look here for starters.....

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... light=iacv

:wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigDan

In terms of screen and windblast, you ain't gonna be getting anything cheap mate.

The MRA Vario is known everywhere for not working at all. The standard Triumph screen is crap. The triumph tall screen is crap.

The Cee Baileys is supposed to be good, but will cost you £200 to get over here.

The Palmer Products screen is british made, looks the dogs bollocks, is fully adjustable and has 3 different screen sizes. Again, its £200. But it bloody well works a treat!!

So, i'd either look at getting rid of the tigger, or spending £200 on a palmer. I tried to just make do with the stock screen, and I tell ya, its just not worth the hassle and long term neck pain!!

The mechanical stuff, I can't help with xD
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

At a guess I'd say he's a Brit  :?

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "BigDan"The triumph tall screen is crap.

Personally, I get on alright with the Triumph tall screen and have done some very long days without problems.

On the Tiger, screens are an individual thing and only trial and error (sometimes costly) will find out what works for you.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

If you tel us where you are, you will have a better chance of getting some local assistance and comparisons with the screen issue. Put something in your profile, and welcome by the way 8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Quote from: "BigDan"The MRA Vario is known everywhere for not working at all. The standard Triumph screen is crap.

Well it works for me, especially after making a taller aerofoil. Not perfect but much better.

But you won't find 2 people on this (or any other) forum agreeing about screens.

WRT surging, although I have great respect for BixxerBob, the solution to mine was a modified map. You do need Tuneboy or TuneECU - but as these are so useful I'd get one or the other as a matter of course.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Ironhorse

I found an easy fix for the stiff clutch. Reroute you cable to the right side of the engine and carefully take the sharp bend out of the lower part of the cable housing. That is the steel tube I am referring to.

This made a huge difference in the required pull at the lever.

tedmagnum

Quote from: "Chris Canning"At a guess I'd say he's a Brit  :?

Yup...  From the Wirral  :)

tedmagnum

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "BigDan"The MRA Vario is known everywhere for not working at all. The standard Triumph screen is crap.

WRT surging, although I have great respect for BixxerBob, the solution to mine was a modified map. You do need Tuneboy or TuneECU - but as these are so useful I'd get one or the other as a matter of course.

Had a google.....

Looks like tuneboy costs $500 for a kit ???

Tune ECU is free and just needs this cable....

http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main ... ucts_id=32

I just found it half the price on ebay though...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-DDT20 ... 038wt_1303

I've downloaded all the software and maps. I'm not sure which map is mine though. I can't make sense of the VIN number ranges !!

My Vin ends in 2160292

Chris Canning

Well no we know were you are it's a start when it comes to input!!.

1.If the motor is noisey get it shimmed,if you take it to a dealer make sure it's an old established one so they know what they are doing.

2.The surging while considered the norm there are guys on here who have tinkered with the engine tune to get rid of that,do a search there's war and piece on here about it,I've found every fuel injected bike I've ridden is poor when filtering I've learning to be either on or off the throttle to avoid such.

3. Stiff clutch,yea mine is the same,it's becuase I'm not match fit,when I am I don't notice it,found the trick is to ride the bike more.

4.Windblast!! I'm one of the lucky ones absolutely love the stock screen while out yesterday cruising along at a steady 110 it did occur to me the postings on here about how bad it is  :roll: ,there are a number of variations just make some allowance if you ever intend riding in southern europe don't get get stuck behind one of those barn doors you'll be crying for yer mom  :D

Forgot!!,after you have the motor set up as you want,try the 02 plug,if you are lucky the early 955's have the connector at the back of the motor takes 5 seconds to fit,the later bikes it's a tank off job,I tried one didn't like it,made the motor too flat.

BigDan

You're not too far away from me Ted, I live in Manchester near the trafford centre. If you want to come and have a look at the Palmer screen I have you are more than welcome too :)
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

tedmagnum

Quote from: "BigDan"You're not too far away from me Ted, I live in Manchester near the trafford centre. If you want to come and have a look at the Palmer screen I have you are more than welcome too :)

Cheers mate... Appreciated.

However, I'm never going to spend that much on a screen for a ten year old bike.  I've made screens in the past for overland bikes.

£5 quid gets you a big piece of perspex. A heat gun and a lot of swearing gets you a nice extension.  Otherwise, I'll just keep my eye on EBay  :wink:

Top jobs are giving this old girl a full service (with valves) and sorting out the surging using Tune Ecu *gulp*