News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter motor or relay?

Started by haroldo_psf, April 26, 2012, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Quote from: "iansoady"The daft thing is that in gear with the clutch pulled in the starter motor will turn but no feed to ignition / fuel injection.

I think you're thinking of a 1978 Honda CB750 with the kill switch off. Starter turns but no ignition.
My Tiger will start in gear or in neutral. Just pull the clutch in and press the starter. If yours doesn't Ian, then there's something wrong.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Robbie

I think Ian means starting in gear with the side stand down. motor spins but will not fire up

I removed the clutch switch a few years ago and it has only caught me out twice with no ill effects. just a unexpected jump. worst one was when i turned the bars and my tank bag touched the starter switch.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

iansoady

Quote from: "Robbie"I think Ian means starting in gear with the side stand down. motor spins but will not fire up

That is what I meant - thanks Robbie.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I have to admit to having NEVER tried that.... :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I have to admit to having NEVER tried that.... :ImaPoser

Well I didn't do it on purpose.....

IIRC I was at the Red Marley hill climb*, parked on a slope so left in gear to stop it rolling away and forgot I'd left it like that.

It caused some Harley riders nearby great amusement.

*Well worth a visit by the way.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

eurobikesean

I have a 1999 885i Tiger that has almost the same symptoms, I have to hold the started button and pull in the clutch to get it to start. I tested the clutch switch and it seems to be fine. I have recently replaced the starter relay and so far everything thing else tests OK.

After many frustrating hours of diagnosis, it seems to be the wire harness leading out of the ignition key switch. I haven't yet replaced it because of the expense.

Just and FYI for anyone else with the same problem(s).

Ironically, I live in the same general area as haroldo_psf (SF Bay area) but I have yet to see him on the road.

klingklang

I am dealing with that for years,    changed switches, ignition and relays.... when it look to be fixed, it come back a few weeks after.... Now I push the starting button and pull the clutch and fu...of..  ...even thinking of reversing the wires clutch/startup switches...one time...maybe