News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

After 2 years of work,it's the most bad a$$ 885i out there:)

Started by haroldo_psf, May 03, 2012, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Yes, I am proud of this thing and of what I've done with it. I believe it's the manliest, gnarliest, most bad ass, 885i out there (not because it's mine, really  8) ).

A few of you have been with me from the start 2 years ago in 2010 when this whole thing started... So I thought I'd share the end result, along with the story of how I got here...

June 2010: a group of 7 riders was formed and planned to ride 10000 miles all the way to Prudoe Bay AK (end of continent, above the Arctic). I needed a bike for the job, as my 2008 Concours 14 (GTR1400), although a 160hp fire breathing road monster, is not suited for big pot holes and hundreds of gravel miles. A friend of friend told me there was an available 2000 885i for sale really cheap ($1500). The catch...It didn't run! :) I asked for a picture, and what I got is what you see underwater. No joke. That's the picture the seller sent me. "Check us out! Both underwater! She's a beauty, isn't she?" The guy was Australian, and that picture was him mid Continental Divide Trail in the US, which is 3000 miles of hard trail meant for mountain bikes or dirt bikes....Hey, at least he was honest, and I knew exactly what I was getting into.

August 2010: I take ownership of the bike. The info that "it didn't run" wasn't absolutely true. It did run, as long as you didn't stop or pulled the clutch in. Fun and safe! :)

September 2010 to March 2011: After an initial assessment of the bike, and some research in this forum, I start a crusade to diagnose and fix the running issue, with a promise to myself that I would only touch the suspension after I fixed the engine.

Summary of initial assessment:
- bike's supension is completely shot, crap. It sags to the bottom even with all preload on the back, and the front had a series of brake pistons shoved in the forks to compensate for the saggy springs. It was literally $hit.

- the engine: well, there are so many things wrong with it I can't put my finger one a single one. It had been submersed as shown in the pic... Maybe that helped it get so bad?

- Accessories: well, that's the good part. It came with the $1400 Touratech Zega panniers seen in the pics. Also, the Australian guy has a custom weld sump guard and skid plate made in Calgary prior to his departure for the Continetnal Divide. It cost him over $1000 dollards. You can see part of the setup in the pics. The crash guards were "customized" to make the rest fit. It is perfect. So, I paid $1500 for a bike that almost didn't run, but it came with about $2400 of essential accessories. It also came with the Tiger Tank Bag.

The story is quite long, with chills, spills, and thrills. But in summary, this is what I did to fix the running issue, and then some extra while I was at it:

- new TPS sensor
- new IACV motor
- new IACV gasket
- new crankshaft position sensor
- new TB gasket
- new spark plugs
- new fuel filter
- new fuel metal fittings
- new fuel panel seal
- new clutch

All of this happened over a period of 3 months or so. After all, it was running smoothly, and not I could come to a stop and even pull the clutch! Whohooo!!! I'm not afraid to die now. Awesome.

Now the fun part: since I got the bike to run, let me re-ward myself with some farkles:

- Supension: 3 way adjustable Penske Racing shock on the rear and RaceTech custom springs on the front.....There is no power upgrade in the world that matches benefits of good suspension. Period. After this, in twisty roads or harsh offroad, I was leaving two of the other riders with brand new $15000 bmw GS1200s in the dust...

- Accessories:
     - Hot Grips heated grips
     - Zumo 550 GPS, Autocom Super Pro Automatic, Kenwood 2W radio
     - Mustang PEgs
     - Ceebaileys 8" screen with winglets
     - Two tractor manual canister holders (seen in pics) mounted on side, watersealed, for tools.
     - 2 gallon Rotopax gasoline container, seen on pics, mounted on rear rack. It gives me a total of 8.5 gallons and about a 400 mile range.
     - Aerostich remote temperature gage
     - new side stand
     - new center stand

...and I am for sure forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Well, since I've got it running and dialed it, I;ve put about 15000 miles on it, from which about 2000 miles are off road.

I have crashed it many times in the dirt. I have gone over some nasty logs potholes which I thought my teeth would fall off, but the bike just took it. It seems to LOVE nasty terrain.  

I have used the panniers for everything, for luggage and for ice and beers. It works great for both.

There is nothing cute about this bike. It's is a man's bike. It is all business. It has been to hell and back, and it loves to take a beating. It runs strong, and it corners like a sport bike due to top of the line suspension upgrade.

It is trully the baddest 885i out there (or so I like to think  8) )

Just thought I'd share this. The ride to the Arctic is in a month, and I am just in heaven.
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

One more pic (you can see the custom bash plate and sump guard a little better (gas container and tractor manual canisters not shown)

also, forgot to say: it has currently 61000 miles on the odo
2000 Tiger 885i

PeteH

Cant complain at 885i`s virtues, just your taste in jackets....give her some respect :wink:  :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "PeteH"Cant complain at 885i`s virtues, just your taste in jackets....give her some respect :wink:  :)

ahahah! That was last year. I have come to my senses and showed some respect since, and for about 10 months or so I have the Triumph Adventure Jacket and pants that were released with the 800XC.

At least  look as if I know what I'm doing!
2000 Tiger 885i

KuzzinKenny

Hey haroldo_psf !! that looks like one hellova trip  8)  

if you've not seen this, its worth a read.........

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... 9&t=696871

different bike but should still be of interest for the great RnR they did  :thumbsup

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chad

yup she sure does look bad ass :D what tyres are you running ? are they K60 scouts ?
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Chad"yup she sure does look bad ass :D what tyres are you running ? are they K60 scouts ?

Yes, those are the Scouts K60. I love these tires on this bike. I was a little unsure in the beginning. They tend to wonder a bit above 80mph, and when new, they really bite in the corners. However, as they wear, they become more and more like a street tire as far as how the feel. They stick like glue. In about 8000 miles, I have never felt the rear or front skip on me, yet (knock on wood)...
2000 Tiger 885i

Chad

Yes I've heard the k60s tend to need a good 5-600miles to bed in then get better and better :)
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

BigDan

Brilliant stuff mate!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook