News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High- grade petrol

Started by New-Tiger, January 19, 2005, 11:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New-Tiger

Does using more expensive unleaded petrol make any performance difference with the Tiger?

BP_LONDON

I've actually heard the new 'high-performance' petrols like Shell's Optimax and the one from BP are actualy detrimental to your engine....I just use regular unleaded.

Chris Canning

I've always used Shell Optimax there isn't the marked improvement that i get with my Beemer but a difference non the less,although  when talking about this type of thread it's got as much to do with a persons feel for his machine as much as the fuel, some people have a better one than others.

BP also have a version that works just as well,as for detrimental??? thats a new'un on me,haveing seen my mates Beemer run on raceing fuel at £10 a litre which was way over a 100 and that was fine apart from the cost!!!!!!.

Chris

Dick Boyer

I get better fuel milage with premium. Don't know exactly how much. More so on my single 650 Honda

knarf

I only used it if I think the bike feels a bit rough. it seems to clean the inards up.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

tomla

...I scratch my head when folks say they can feel the difference betwn. diff. brands of gas...in the U.S. the oilco's frequently sell to one another...as for feeling the difr. with higher octane, past the mfr.'s recommendation, well, to each his own...did you know that you actually get better mileage with regular gas, not premium, assuming your motor can use regular.  There's more btu's in it...your mileage may vary.

My owner's manual says to use 95 RON, which is about 91 R&M stateside.  92 is generally the highest octane available here unless you want to seek out race, aviation, or mad chemist mixes...I can get away with running unleaded plus, which is 89 R&M, since I'm easy on the throttle.

WildeKurt

Use the octane the engine is rated for.  Theoretically, a higher octane could damage the motor.  The oil head BMW's require 93 per thier spec but'll run on 89 in a pinch.  I've been putting 93 in the Tiger 'cuz it's closer to 92 than 89.  The midgrade is usually 90 I think.  Most cars are happier with 89 despite what the oil companies will tell you.  You may get better mileage with higher octane than the motor's rated for but not enough to make up for the extra money.

Kurt

T_Phil

Quote from: "New-Tiger"Does using more expensive unleaded petrol make any performance difference with the Tiger?

As far as I know there is no difference energy wise between 95 ron and 98 ron.  The only difference should be a higher self detonation temperature.

WildeKurt

Here's more than most will ever want to know about octane ratings and what it means:  

http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/AUTO/F_ ... SOLINE_001

I think in a nutshell we're talking about a fuels ability to resist autoignition(knocking) which in extreme cases can ruin the piston very quickly.  Typically higher octane fuels are required for higher compression engines.  Octane is not a measure of energy content in gasoline though.

Read what's at that link and we'll have a quiz later!  

Kurt