News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Using Sprint RS aftermarket exhaust on a 955 Tiger

Started by Stitch, July 15, 2012, 06:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

I have been looking for aftermarket exhaust for awhile and have had a tough time to spend about $400(+) US for something decent for those few manufacturers who make something for the Tiger. I  broadened my search to see if I could get something close to where I could modify the link pipe for a slip on, etc. to where the price would be more tolerable.

I came across an ebay ad for a brand new in the box Jardine RT-One which fitted a Triumph Sprint RS 2000-2002 (part# 18-7204-122-02). In looking at the pictures of the muffler and link pipe, I could make a go of it if the price was right. Scored it for $130 shipped to my door.  :D

Unpacking the carton, everything was as described. The polished muffler was a touch longer but overall smaller in diameter. Holding the link pipe next to the stocker looked to good to be true....it may bolt on just as is!  

I did review Bixxerbob's posts on how he fitted his Blueflame so I thought a bracket fab might be in order. Time to zip off the old and pre-fit the new.  
The link pipe bends were perfect with one exception. The new link pipe uses a couple of tabs to secure the tension springs to muffler. In pre-fitting the muffler, the tabs will be off in alignment causing the springs not to be straight across to the muffler. Not too bad so far but I wanted to see what was involved in mounting the muffler. The OE mounting tab on the frame was very usable. Like Bixxerbob's experience with the Blueflame the muffler bracket would need a bit of a upward bend with some spacing to properly fit around the saddle bag. In scrounging for my hardware and what I had around, I decided to forgo the bracket building and bent the frame tab upwards slightly to accommodate the needed clearance. I did luck out with a long enough hardened bolt and used an all-thread coupling for my spacer. I added a fiber washer at the frame tab for good measure.
I then checked for clearance and had ample.....sweet!  With this good fortune of the link pipe bends and the clearance around the bag with a securely mounted muffler I think I can live with mis-aligned muffler to pipe tension springs. After quickly administering a beer in celebration of my relatively easy bolt on of performance exhaust at a smoking price, I fired her up to see how she sounds. Night and day difference to my modified OE exhaust (punched out baffle).

Attached are pictures of the finished product with my hardware combo to attach the muffler. It does stick out about 3/4 inch past the rear tail light lens but it has plenty of clearance around the bag. Ahhh yes....the rumble is nice....time for another beverage!

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

fnjeep314

SOUND CLIP PLEASE!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D
I do things!

gatorwesty

that tiger is way too clean............

nice looking job and I always appreciate thinking outside the norm.

Stitch

Thanks for the kudos gatorwesty.... I lucked out huge but hope the info will allow those who desire better exhaust to save a few bucks. Deals are out there for similiar to what I picked up.  

Any tips from Mustang or other on complying with fnjeep314's audio request for the forum? Seems a .wav file would be the best? Don't think a smartphone recording and reposting on a third party site will do it justice.  :?:
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

fnjeep314

If I was just a little closer, I would just come by!! With your permission of course!!
I do things!