News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel consumption getting worse and worse...

Started by BP_LONDON, January 28, 2005, 10:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

What could the reason for this be (I'm not riding the bike any harder or faster)? I'm taking the bike in for a good service on tuesday afternoon - but just need some opinions so I can sound a little more informed. Could high fuel usage be due to a clogged/old air filter? My chain is lubed every 500km and tensioned correctly - I have new tires on, they are inflated correctly, and the bike moves freely when not under power...

SIBBO

When you say worse and worse what do you mean?

Can you give us some figures........

BP_LONDON

Have been getting 150miles per tank, after my holiday I filled up the tank to the brim and it's now just under half - and I've only done 70miles!!!!!!!!!!!

whoa

Can loss of compression cause more fuel consumption?  I had a small fuel leak and it caused a very strong odor in the garage so its not that.

knarf

This may sound stupid  :roll:

Have you checked your tyre pressure

or

Is your chain adjusted correctly
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "knarf"This may sound stupid  :roll:

Have you checked your tyre pressure

or

Is your chain adjusted correctly

Did you actually READ my post before replying????

T_Phil

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"What could the reason for this be (I'm not riding the bike any harder or faster)? I'm taking the bike in for a good service on tuesday afternoon - but just need some opinions so I can sound a little more informed. Could high fuel usage be due to a clogged/old air filter? My chain is lubed every 500km and tensioned correctly - I have new tires on, they are inflated correctly, and the bike moves freely when not under power...

This could be anything, from clogged airfilter to malfunctioning EFI controller or ignition.  You haven't mentioned if the bike still pulls right or not.  Can you feel if there is a change from before the excesive fuel consumption?  In any case it should be thoroughly tested.

BP_LONDON

Bike pulls exactly as before....smooth and strong. No change in that respect...

Barns

BP,

Are you basing your view of worsening fuel consumption on just half a tank (indicated) of petrol.  It could be that your fuel guage is malfunctioning.  You need to at least refuel the bike and see how much you can get in, and then work out accurately what the consumption is.

Al

robbo

My fuel gauge is terrible, it shows empty by the time I have done 80/90 miles but I know the tank is good for 170 to 180 before the light comes on and another 35 to 40 miles after that before I need to stop.

couldn't the bad fuel consumption just be down to short journeys because of the time of year. I know I donÌt get halt the fuel consumption when commuting as I do when on a proper run.
best Regards

Robbo

piggydude

I know you said you filled to the brim, but my Tiger (and my Hornet before it) takes quite a lot of filling. Just when you think you've got to the top of the filler neck the level sinks back and you can squeeze some more in! This means that filling is can become quite a lengthy process. I assume it's to do with displacing the air in the tank - quite a faff though.

This sort of thing could obviously have a marked effect on percieved fuel economy (plus my fuel gauge is rubbish too!)

Cheers

Jim