News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering on the cheap

Started by MarkShelley, September 05, 2012, 10:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShelley

Fitting the Corbin has made quite a difference to the ease of getting my feet down as the saddle is wider so I would like to lower the bike a bit to compensate. It is fine with a pillion as the suspension is compressed.
I know you can turn the chain adjusters upside down at the rear, but has anybody dropped the front forks through the yokes a bit to drop the front? If so, is there an optimum amount?
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Mustang

you generally need to pull the forks up the same amount you drop the rear , an inch is a good place to start .

one drawback to rotating the eccentric is that it WILL cause premature wear of the chain slider on the bottom side .

MarkShelley

How quickly will the chain slider disintegrate then?
I may just try dropping the forks through the yokes by an inch to begin with and see how that feels. It should quicken up the turn in a bit, not that it really needs it.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

Mustang

dropping the forks that much without lowering the rear is not advisable.

the chain slider bottom lasts for long enough to not be a problem .
mines worn out now from flipping the eccentric but it did 20 thousand miles approx.
and the mrs steamer does about the same .

it has never been an issue for me just making sure you know to check it's condition more often after lowering as it does wear faster

Sin_Tiger

I wouldn't drop the yokes as much as 25mm, she'll flop into the corners like a beached whale,I am with Mustang on this the right tyres will give you pent quick enough steering, its not a crotch rocket.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MarkShelley

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 06, 2012, 03:04:45 PM
I wouldn't drop the yokes as much as 25mm, she'll flop into the corners like a beached whale,I am with Mustang on this the right tyres will give you pent quick enough steering, its not a crotch rocket.

You didn`t read my first post I guess, I am looking to lower it, not make it steer quicker. I just said that dropping the yoke would probably cause that. As it happens I did it this evening and have been for a ride and it does not feel noticeably different turning in to be honest. I will do the rear if I get time at the weekend

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

MarkShelley

Done 60 odd miles in bendy B roads and decided that it handles rather well with the 1" drop on the front. It has solved my problem so I will leave the rear alone.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

MarkShelley

The more miles I cover the better it feels. 
I really reciommend you try dropping the front 25mm to see what you think.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: MarkShelley on September 06, 2012, 07:43:56 PM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 06, 2012, 03:04:45 PM

You didn`t read my first post I guess, I am looking to lower it, not make it steer quicker. I just said that dropping the yoke would probably cause that. As it happens I did it this evening and have been for a ride and it does not feel noticeably different turning in to be honest. I will do the rear if I get time at the weekend

I did read it, dropping the yolks will shorten the wheelbase and change the front end geometry and it will steer quicker, I found 25mm too much for my liking, just saying, if you like it, fine but be warned, take it easy the first time out in the wet, completely different feel.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MarkShelley

I find feedback from the front is actually better in the corners than it was. At high speed on the motorway it is definately less flighty. I found that when you got around 95mph the front end got really light, but it is better now.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

Sin_Tiger

coachgeo

for future reference.

Out side the box thinking.  Or Reaching to your Sole for solutions. :notworthy

Put stacked soles on your boots.  Might have to modify your shifter to get boot under it. 

Advantage........

. you tune bikes geometry to your weight, style without needing to take any sacrifices to a accommodate height.
. you do not loose ground clearance off road.

. disadvantage- your perceptions of where your foot is to the ground will be off. Potential injury unless you spend a lot of time to find your ahhhhhhhhh.......... new footing. :thumbsup
. some style dork will say your look is off (or you'll start a new fashion trend)

COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Sin_Tiger

:5huh do you really want to look like Gary Glitter  :pottytrain2

coachgeo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 16, 2013, 04:28:07 AM
:5huh do you really want to look like Gary Glitter  :pottytrain2

Daytona Mstar? boots are available with some sole lift and some inside lift equaling about 1". Some say  you can't even tell it.  Me....... could give a rats ass.  :sign13"if it works"  "it's not stupid"  :XXsunsmile
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)