News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Heated grip failure

Started by ArchRider, January 20, 2013, 04:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

I've looked around the site for a similar thread and have not found one.  What I have is a failed right heated grip.  The bike went down hard on the right side in a wreck two years ago and I haven't had it out in cold weather since, until now.  At first I thought it would be something as simple as a broken wire where it enters the bar but I checked that and I cannot find a break.
Does anyone know of what might cause one side to go out?  The left side still heats.  If I can fix it, I'd rather not go and buy a new set.

Mustang

doubt that it is fixable without ruining the rubber grip itself .
The impact probably and most likely broke the filament inside the grip .
you can find out simple enough by putting an ohm meter across the two wires that come out of grip .
on a digital meter you will see a 1 or a 0
if you see a 1 you have a broken filament

on a meter with a needle , if the needle doesn't move you have a broken filament .

blacktiger

Might be worth asking Triumph if they sell one grip as a spare.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ArchRider

Thank you, both.  Checking the resistance sounds like a good idea, Mustang.  Although, I think you are likely correct in your assumption that a filament is broken.  The bars hit the pavement hard on that side (but fortunately did not bend the bars.)

I'd be surprised if Triumph offered a spare grip.  They could get more money by selling them in pairs but it's worth asking.

Bixxer Bob

If you have to buy a pair, you'l l have a spare for next time  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 23, 2013, 10:27:42 AM
If you have to buy a pair, you'l l have a spare for next time  :hat10

Yeah but it'll be the wrong side................................................. :pottytrain2
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ArchRider

I guess I'll just have to pray to the mighty lords of trumpet power that I get hit on the other side next time.   :bowdown

Tiger-G

Hi,

A broken wire in the heated grips is usually fixable. Just use some fuse wire of the same thickness and solder it across the break.

Hoep that helps   :wave

Graeme.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

The OE heated grips are sold separate, and from what I can remember not as expensive as you might think, £20 odd quid from memory.
Where you'll have fun is threading the wiring through the bars, but a paper clip is your best friend for this task.

Oops, just checked World of Triumphs Online Parts fiche, and the R/H Grip is NLA(No Longer Available), as is the complete kit, L/H is showing available but that doesnt help you. You could try phoning Ian at Performance Triumph Cheltenham, very helpful and he has found me NLA parts in the past. He once told me that Triumph sometimes remove parts from the Fiche and pricelist but still have stock at the factory if you ask the right people. :hat10
2016 Tiger Sport

pineygroveshop

My left heated grip failed (and I resoldered) several times over the years before I broke down and ordered just the left from my local dealer.
Cheers,
Stephen

xtphreak

mine has failed twice, right side.

both times it was a broken wire (the heating element).

it's nichrome or the like, very tough to solder to.

the factory connection to the stranded copper wire is a mechanical (crimped) ferrell.

I peeled back the grip and had to unwind one turn (or spiral) to get enough to reach.
I used the barrel of a 18-22AWG ring lug with the insulation and ring cut off to make a ferrell.
crimped it in and it worked fine.

the second time the grip split, so I replaced the grip (outer rubber) with a after market pair.

good luck it isn't a big deal if you use a good crimper for 18-22AWG.

now anybody know of a cross reference for a fuel pump in a 1999 Girly?

Goose

I Lost my R/H grip too just before xmax it was on fire and diden't blow the fuse? The Triumph garage fitted 1050 tiger ones and they work well and look the same. both were about £45-00 I think thats cheap £250-00 for my old GS 1150.

Regards,

Goose. :thumbsup

ArchRider

Wow!  I thought this thread had run its course but it still has some life.  I guess I have a few options here now. 
Once you have the grips off, is it easy to spot the broken wire?  Although I don't see how you can peel back a grip without destroying it.  Should I just resign myself to having to buy new grips? (I probably should. The ones on there are 12 years old)

And I've never seen a crimper for such small wire.  Where can I pick up such a thing?  My first course will be to peruse my friends' garages to see whether they have one.  No sense buying one for a single break.

And every place I've looked here in the states for grips sells them in pairs.  I've never seen a single.  And since we no longer have a Triumph dealer closer than an hour and 45 from here, I don't have a good connection to OEM parts except over the internet.  (But that would give me a good reason to go for a ride.  I may have to reconsider calling that dealer.)  It also depends upon the cost.  If I can get a new pair for the cost of a single, I'm going new.

Thanks for all the options.  I have some work to do.  Now to chase down my charging issues but that's another thread.

matts23

----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

ArchRider

Nice call, Matts23!  :thumbsup I guess I assumed (and we all know what that does) that anyplace selling the grips would sell them as a pair.  $45 for a fix?  That's certainly feasible.
I may try to do the crimp repair first but this is a great back up if and when that fails.