News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

siezed brake pad pins

Started by nojohn, March 07, 2013, 11:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojohn

is there an easy way to remove siezed rear brake pins on a 2005 ,got one out but other stuck, hex socket  rounded off

Bixxer Bob

Just been through that myself, one of the perils of winter riding.  Had to drill both of mine out although if you use the search button there's a thread about hammering a torx bit into it.  If you go the drill route, use a sharp drill, a nice fit in the rounded hole and keep it straight. Once you are into the main body of the pin, change to a bigger drill. Use the pin you got out to determine the biggest size you can safely use without damaging the thread. As you reach the other side the pin will break off then all you need to do is extract the remains of the thread. Go careful with the second drill as it'll snag in the hole and try to pull itself in.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cosmo

Use a left-handed bit, and the drill will then catch and try to remove the remains. Which works in your favour.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

nojohn

thanks for info will try drilling <once it stops raining> :XXsunsmile

chappers

had the same problem but mine seemed to of been glued in by a triumph dealer. i even tried cutting the pin and welding a nut onto it but it kept breaking off , so i had to go down the drill out route. it was a big pain but it worked. now ive got both front calipiers to do  :pottytrain2

Bixxer Bob

The fronts aren't usually as bad as the back for unknown reasons.  Use a really good allen key and make sure it's a good fit. Put an extension tube over it and carefully build up the pressure.  Penetrating fluid also helps, and soak it as long as you can first, assuming you'll put hew pads in afterwards.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 10, 2013, 10:31:33 PM
The fronts aren't usually as bad as the back for unknown reasons.  Use a really good allen key and make sure it's a good fit. Put an extension tube over it and carefully build up the pressure.  Penetrating fluid also helps, and soak it as long as you can first, assuming you'll put hew pads in afterwards.

And then buy some stainless steel ones.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

jeffcrigler

I went the penetrating oil route .... the put the flat head in and whacked it with a hammer a few times before I tried to move it.. Did the same on the hex inside .. Both came out with a snap.. And BTW the were both rusted solid.. this method has always worked for me
Honda Mini-Trail 50 1970
Honda Mini-trail 70  1970
Honda 170 don't Remember Model
Yamaha MX100
Husqvarna 125 cr 1978
Can Am Bombardier 1979
Kawasaki Vulcan 800 1999
Honda Shadow 1100 2003
Harley V-Rod 2003
Tiger 2000
Sprint 2006
Honda mini trail 70

daveb

just had a go at the rear pins in mine, oh the joys of riding in winter, the pins are stuck fast. one of the hex has now started to round off.

I did find some stainless steel ones on the square deals site http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/stainless-steel-brake-pad-retaining-pins-rear-caliper-65mm-1xpair-6849-p.asp

we will see what happens on Friday as the bike has the mot, the rear disk looks like its stating to get grooves. If she fail on this they can sort it out for me.

blacktiger

Quote from: daveb on March 17, 2013, 11:56:54 AM
just had a go at the rear pins in mine, oh the joys of riding in winter, the pins are stuck fast. one of the hex has now started to round off.

I did find some stainless steel ones on the square deals site http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/stainless-steel-brake-pad-retaining-pins-rear-caliper-65mm-1xpair-6849-p.asp

we will see what happens on Friday as the bike has the mot, the rear disk looks like its stating to get grooves. If she fail on this they can sort it out for me.

Don't want to "rub it in" but, having had experience of this type of calliper before, one of the first things I did when I got my bike home after buying it was take the pins out and cover the threads in large amounts of Copper Slip. Then soon after I bought some stainless ones.

Bixxer Bob

On mine, both ends were seized so after assembling them (loads of copperslip, always do) I sealed them with some clear  left over roof sealer.  We'll see......

daveb

going to buy some plus gas tomorrow also going to order some stainless pins. I will see about getting some copper slip from work

so I will go down the penetrating oil method first.

chappers

i soaked mine in duck oil for days b4 i tried to work it free. but after i took off the screw in dust cap i noticed the pin was slightly rounded off, i cant think why anyone would put a slightly rounded off pin back in . knew i was heading for trouble soon as i clapped eyes on it.

daveb

good news the bike passed the Mot, just ordered the stainless steel pins, acquired some plus gas, got a week off from good friday :)

blacktiger

A solution I used on my 955 years ago was to take out the wheel so that I could get at the calliper easier. Cut a small portion off the pin at the far end so that I could remove the pads. Then, I bent the remainder of the pin 90 degrees so that it then had the leverage of an Allen key. It came loose then. Then you've got to cut off the bent bit and remove what's left in the normal way.