News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new v-strom 650 or 99 885 tiger

Started by toland, February 21, 2005, 06:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toland

had my mind set on a new dl650 then visited triumph dealer and fell in love with a yellow used tiger with 8500km looks mint.  they are asking about $8000 CDN for it , so price would be about the same as the Strom.

questions I have are as follows.

-no bs what reliability issues could I be dealing with?

-I am 6'3" and my girlfriend is 6'0" how will the bike suit her as a pillion, it needs to be great as this will be her first motorcycle experience.

-I already have a set of Hepco/Becker cans does anybody have a mounting setup to suggest  namely SW Motech

-I will be taking the bike down through Mexico this coming winter any other suggestions for add-ons, yes there will be some off road ie Copper Canyon

Thanks for the input.

thylacine

I've put 75 000 kms on my 96 BMW F650       (read dl650 category)

Loved it, reliable, lots of trips, still have it, but am selling because...

After 8 000 km in two months on my 04 Tiger  (read dl 1 000 category)

the little F is covered in cobwebs.  The missus now ASKS for rides, not so in the 650 category.

Don't people still demo before they buy?

greg

I have a 955 Tiger, my wife has a DL650, and I previously had a T Bird sport, which is the same tune and motor as the 885. My observations are, as a regular rider of the DL650 in winter (Easier to clean than a Tiger!), and both of us having done similar mileages, that the Tiger has obvious advantage with power and two up comfort. The DL is not brilliant with pillions, the Tiger is. The DL handles brilliantly, it really does, and has quite enough power one up. The Tiger handles brilliantly, and is great with pillions. Both can be fully kitted with luggage, heated grips etc. Price wise, I paid £6499 for the Tiger new, with panniers, heated grips and centre stand. £4500 for the DL new, added heated grips and topbox, centrestand next. There have been no reliability issues with either though when new the Tiger cooling system had not been bled properly.

If I were to do it again I would get the black DL650 if solo riding only. If you are taking a pillion it has to be the Tiger, no doubt about it. I  only say this because I am a tightwad, the Tiger, 885 or 955 is a better motorcycle, but ¬£2000 is ¬£2000..........
2004 Girly.

klingklang

Hi toland, we've got some common point, I'm tall,6'4, I'm Canadian and had to chose from a DL650 or a 99Tiger.  You understand that I got the tiger.  Here is why: as an industrial designer, the design and the conception is very important to me. the DL is the most horible bike I saw.

my old 88 desert express was way better but had a lack in assembly design too. I think it a major Suzuki problem.

The tiger give me the real impression that she was designed, no assemble from parts that seems to come from everywhere.  Even if the DL is what we can consider ,Ä° big bike. I constantly have the bad impression that I was riding a bike too small for me even if I was confortable. Dont ask why, as a tall person, I'm feeling inconfortable when I'm near the ground.

And one of the major point that motived my choice is not related to the bike. As and Suzuki owner, I will never, never want to deal anymore with the Suzuki Canada customer service. There is only one person in that service and it is the answering machine! no moooooore suzuki for me!

so:

and I made the good choice at now. I bough it in the state and had to deal with the custormer service. If you forget the receptionist that is barking more than speaking, I had a lot of support from them. They where very kind and helpfull.

toland

thanks for the feedback, that gold yellow colour on the 99 is soooo beautiful!  I noticed as well some of the beefier components on the tiger most notible the rear swing arm. The only niggling worry is if something went wrong with the engine, there goes my trip to Mexico.  It has been four years since I did my first central american tour on a xr 650 and I could not stand the though of putting this one off for another year.

Kill Switch

Quote from: "toland"had my mind set on a new dl650 then visited triumph dealer and fell in love with a yellow used tiger with 8500km looks mint.  they are asking about $8000 CDN for it , so price would be about the same as the Strom.

questions I have are as follows.

-no bs what reliability issues could I be dealing with?

-I am 6'3" and my girlfriend is 6'0" how will the bike suit her as a pillion, it needs to be great as this will be her first motorcycle experience.

-I already have a set of Hepco/Becker cans does anybody have a mounting setup to suggest  namely SW Motech

-I will be taking the bike down through Mexico this coming winter any other suggestions for add-ons, yes there will be some off road ie Copper Canyon

Thanks for the input.

I have the exact bike.  Paid $5500 American for it.  Love the bike.  Plenty of power, looks good...especially with crash bars.  Looks better than the DL. No problems two up...check tires, chain, let it idle for awhile to check cooling..etc.  You won't regret the purchase.  Can take it anywhere....check clutch cable by handle to make sure it is good and spring located down the cable to housing...might be broken.

ArizonaKid

I have  an 02 Tiger 955i for me and F650GS (very similar to the Suzuki) for the wife and I ride both of them quite a bit.  The 650 is just too small for two upping it, especially on anything other than the highway.  If this is your plan, choose the Tiger. Get a top case w/back rest pad and she should be a happy camper.  I fabricated a passenger foot peg lowering kit (2.5 inches) that helped relieve knee strain for tha passenger. W/O it the passenger is a little froggy (knees bent) and it will get uncomfortable on longer rides, especially for someone as tall as she is. Good luck on your purchase.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger