News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grinding Noise when warm

Started by SvenTomas, May 23, 2013, 01:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SvenTomas

I have a 2001 955 with approx. 39,000 miles.  Lately, whenever I ride for a long, sustained time and get her all warmed up (50-100 miles into a ride), she makes a horrible grinding/rattling noise when taking off from a dead stop.  The temp. gauge doesn't necessarily read any above normal range, but it almost seems to be when the oil gets fully warmed up and 'loose'.  I always use Mobil1 4T.  The noise seems to come from the 'lower front'??? maybe???

It sounds horrible.  Could the clutch be making that noise, and I just don't notice it at speed?
Thanks
Tom

metalguru

Check the chain sliders on the swing arm. and or lube the chain and slack.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

blacktiger

I would suggest your front sprocket in completely knackered............along with your chain.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

SvenTomas

That was my first inclination as well (chain, sprocket, and/or slider) so I changed chain and sprocket (I was due anyways), and the slider looked fine.  I have tried different chain slack as well, and am back to my typical 'slacker than spec' of 50 mm or so.

The grinding/rattling noise (when warm) persists after a long ride when warm.  It really seems to be coming from the front/bottom of the engine.

I'm now due for another oil change, air filter, plugs, etc.  So, perhaps I'll take the plunge, remove the tank, and do all (might as well throw in the airbox mod and voltage fix while I'm in there eh?). 

I'm now wondering if it could be clutch noise or timing chain??

Tom

metalguru

There is another smaller chain guide, can be easily missed but not sure why only noisy when hot. Haven't had much trouble with cam chains or clutches on these. Some gearboxes contents were not hardened correctly and gave up (don't ask). Cam chain is on the right hand side and all that is at the front is the balancer shaft. Totally off at a tangent, is the exhaust leaking and all exhaust studs present?

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

SvenTomas

Hmm.  Interesting.  It's a  horrible noise.  And, indeed only when it's hot after long rides (although temp. gauge is still in normal range).

Yes, the exhaust studs appear to be in place and no apparent leaks in the system.

Thanks for the insight.
Tom

blacktiger

A couple of people on the T800 forum have had a clutch go bad on them. How does yours feel.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

SvenTomas

Seems to feel fine, but it sure does seem like a likely candidate.  I guess I should get my manual out and see if the clutch is easy to inspect when I do my next oil change (maybe tomorrow actually).