News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cruising speed RPM

Started by Roadinator, May 24, 2013, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

My '05 Tiger running at 65mph is running at 4250 rpm on the tach.  Too lazy to count sprockets (and convert for the fine folks across the pond), but is this about normal for other folks?
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Dutch

My '05 runs 24 km/h per 1000 rpm. That is 15 mph so 60 = 4000 rpm. 65 would be 4333 rpm. Close enough, specially if you speedo is a bit optimistic (I calculated with the GPS speed, that's pretty accurate).

Chris Canning

With what sprockets,I'd imagine it would be a novelty running stock gearing do people still use it!!

Dutch

The ones on the bike when I bought it. Never been able to count; more then I have fingers  :hat10

Roadinator

Quote from: Dutch on May 24, 2013, 10:39:00 AM
My '05 runs 24 km/h per 1000 rpm. That is 15 mph so 60 = 4000 rpm. 65 would be 4333 rpm. Close enough, specially if you speedo is a bit optimistic (I calculated with the GPS speed, that's pretty accurate).

Thanks Dutch.  I thought it was a little high on the RPM for cruising speed, but good to hear that's about right.

cosmo

I've very tall gearing, 19 and 43, and tach 4,000 at 70 mph.

Very relaxing and economical.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Stitch

If you are due for sprocket/chain replacement, a 19 tooth front works well and you can use the stock length chain. It is a tried method without much debate to where to gain a bit at highway speeds (meaning a drop in rpms at 65 mph +/-) without sacrificing low end (to where it is noticeable).

I have a 19 tooth front and a stock 46 tooth rear now when I recently changed my chain/sprockets. It works better than the 18t stock front for my freeway commuting (avg 65mph) but I may go taller in the near future like cosmo's set up.

If you want to see how the numbers look at various combinations you can check out www.gearingcommander.com

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Chris Canning

Ran both my 885i's with a 19 front and apart from the day I rode my 955 home brandnew from the shop have never ridden it with an 18,with the can/map/airbox mod there's no difference in performance apart from the drop in revs doing it.

Bixxer Bob

Remind me again what you have on the back Chris?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cosmo

Just to further details, I've ridden over 50,000 miles, many two-up, and I have noticed no adverse effects, even in heavy city (Chicago) traffic.

Unless stopping less for fuel is an adverse effect...

Cosmo

Stitch

Are you running a stock length chain at 114 links  Cosmo?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 25, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
Remind me again what you have on the back Chris?

Rear is stock which is 46,with the mods it'll pull that gearing fine,but it's rare I'm in top under 70mph.

cosmo

Quote from: Stitch on May 25, 2013, 05:01:59 PM
Are you running a stock length chain at 114 links  Cosmo?

No. 112.

Cosmo

Advwannabe

Yep, 19 front, stock rear for me as well.

Brought the gearing in line with my Daytona: 128k @5000.

Doesn't seem to compromise the bike in the rough stuff and makes it less busy at my normal cruising speed @115-120k. Still seems to have plenty of urge for going around stuff in top gear at that pace so seems like the ideal solution. 
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Roadinator

I think 19 upfront and stock in the back sounds like a good set-up.  Any recommendations for a good front sprocket (at and good price of course)?