News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

K&N Oil Filter - Did Not Fit

Started by Patrick the Scot, February 27, 2005, 02:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

I got a K&N Filter (part number KN191) from PJ's Triumph to install along with the oil change.  I got the Triumph filter off the bike easy enough, and when I went to install the new K&N it would not seat properly.  I tighten it as far as it would go, (w/o breaking something) and it would still wiggle side to side.  I then took the filter off and saw that the rolled edge of the filter was hitting some sort of washer/retainer that is just to the outside of the gasket seating relief.  I then measured the Triumph Filter as opposed to the K&N.  The K&N was about 3.175 mm bigger than the Triumph.  So I was skunked on the oil change.  I duct-taped the key hole on the ignition with a "NO OIL" sign.  

After that I finished in the garage, I rang Steve at PJ's and told him the situ. He had not heard anything of the sort.  He is sending me a new Triumph filter on Monday, at no charge. I will send him the K&N for his inspection as we would both like to know if this an anomoly or a common problem, on the '05.

Anybody heard of this?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Frank.B

Hello Patrick.

You should have been supplied with a K&N filter #192 for the Tiger.

What year is your Tig?

Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Patrick the Scot

My Tiger is an '05 model.  Is the #192 for the '05 model or is it for the 955i Tiger across the board.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Frank.B

Patrick.

The KN191 is listed for the TT600, Bonny, Speed Triple, Daytona 955i, and Sprint.

I understand that the kn 192 does all the Tigers.

Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

davensocal

Patrick-

Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way..  

I used an off the shelf filter...  Pepboys and Kragen carry it (I think Kragen is "Checker" in Tx..).  It is a Purolator Pure 1, P/N PL14612.  It's about $6.

From what I have been able to research, it is one of the best filters available, and it is reasonably priced.

This site talks all about them, I found it very helpful..  http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consum ... OilFilters

Good Luck!

Dave.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "davensocal"Patrick-

Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way..  

I used an off the shelf filter...  Pepboys and Kragen carry it (I think Kragen is "Checker" in Tx..).  It is a Purolator Pure 1, P/N PL14612.  It's about $6.

From what I have been able to research, it is one of the best filters available, and it is reasonably priced.

This site talks all about them, I found it very helpful..  http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consum ... OilFilters

Dave.

Honestly, I've never even thought of going to the parts stores.  I've gotten so used to buying all my over-priced cartridge filters for my dirt-bikes at the moto-shops that it never occurred to me to look elsewhere.  Thanks for the suggestion.

tigerowner_ut

I use a Bosch 3300 oil filter from Autozone.  It  filters as well as the Purolator.  Both are excelent filters and quite a bit cheaper than stock.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

Patrick the Scot

Thanks all for the info on alternate filters. I'll have to check into them.  I did get the OEM filter from PJ's last Monday and of course, no problems.

Mark

I ordered an K&N oil filter through my local bike dealership (Kawasaki, as Triumph is 60KM away) and I got PN KN191, having read this thread previously I said it's the wrong PN and told them KN192, the KN192 was a paper cartridge type and definately the wrong type. My Tiger model is '01 955i, so I took the KN191 and endevoured to change the filter.

Now the previous oil & filter change was done by the Triumph dealer, I couldn't even budge the filter, I know it's a tight fit and all but I figured I could manage just to break the 'torque' of the seal, no way my friends was this puppy moving, maybe its a left-hand thread, so I rang the dealer no standard right hand thread. He suggests bringing it in and they'll use their special tool to loosen it. So of I go, get the filter 'loosen', get home and try again...no joy again! Now I'm really pissed off! So out comes the screwdriver and I pierce the filter and finally get the filter off.

Yes the KN191 oil filter fits an '01 955i model. It also has a 17mm nut on the bottom of the filter to enable tightening and loosening. Never again am I letting the dealer near my bike

Cheers

Mark
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.

PeteBrooks

QuoteYes the KN191 oil filter fits an '01 955i model. It also has a 17mm nut on the bottom of the filter to enable tightening and loosening. Never again am I letting the dealer near my bike

I can confirm the the KN191 does NOT fit a (my) 2002 955i Tiger. I have just tried, the lip is too big and as you spin it on the paint scrapes from the filter.