News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Poor Throttle Response

Started by pineygroveshop, July 31, 2013, 12:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineygroveshop

2002 Girly with 78k miles.

Low fuel lamp came on and then the bike died shortly after.  All lamps light and the engine would crank but not catch.  Found the aftermarket plastic fuel filter was a bit bulbous and the element inside was rattling around.  Walked to Autozone and got a filter, reassembled and got home.
Next ride there was hesitation in the throttle response.
Before this all happened I had added Chevron Techron Concentrate to a full tank.
I've decided that I should remove the tank and airbox and look for something amiss.  I have fuel line extensions and can run the bike with the tank off; however, I can't detect a hesitation in neutral in the driveway.
Before I start barking up the wrong tree, do you want to offer your input?
Cheers,
Stephen

Stitch

The previous fuel filter you had failed and what you described is a sign of a plastic filter blowing out from pressure. I believe you are on the right branch of the tree going after a fuel issue. Since you have extensions, I would verify the fuel pressure of the pump (fuel injection gauge inline). A metal fuel injection filter should be used and suspect  that the fuel pump you have may be going south (based on your description so far). With a failed fuel filter and a fuel pump on it's way out, the combination would allow debris to the injectors and clog the inlet screens of one or more injectors (which means the fuel rail comes out to clean the screens of each injector). Reassemble with new o-rings.The Chevron concentrate is a non-issue IMO. A more economical approach to fuel system cleaning is to use 97% Isopropyl alcohol found at any pharmacy.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

pineygroveshop

Over the years, I've become accustomed to hearing the fuel pump fire up when the key is turned.  I'm not hearing is so much as before.
Cheers,
Stephen

pineygroveshop

$40 fuel pump from ebay sorted this out.  Thanks for the input.
Cheers,
Stephen