News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

France and Spain

Started by Spud, September 21, 2013, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Right I'll say good bye for a couple of weeks, just got to throw some paint on a couple of walls and I'm offski heading south to Aragon. I'll let you know how long the Anakee's 3's last and go.

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Promise us you won't look up suddenly as you're slapping on that emulsion  :icon_rolleyes:

Ride safe mate  :wave
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 21, 2013, 09:02:13 AM
Promise us you won't look up suddenly as you're slapping on that emulsion  :icon_rolleyes:

Ride safe mate  :wave

I'm strict orders no looking up at all, no Vultures, eagles or any other type of bird  :icon_eek:

Paint all done now so just the last few tweeks on bike then I'm off

PeteH

Have a great trip...fingers crossed for the weather...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Spud

Well I got south of Poitiers and had to stop rested for two days got some treatment then a real slow ride north to Caen, back is back in spasm and needles and pins have returned to my forearm.
So the bike is getting a big clean and being stored for the winter, while I will be doing a full rehad and hopefully be trying to ride the bike again in spring.
I am contemplating not being able to ride again. Not a good thought

fraser j ross

Think positive Spud and you will be fine just take it easy  :thumbsup

The Midnight Rambler

Sounds like a real nightmare, I hope you are feeling a bit better.
I guess you will be getting to know the NHS a little better in the near future.
My wife worked her way up through the ranks and her advice is be a pain in the arse.
Don't be angry but calm and assertive and don't settle for being fobbed off.
Keep going back if it isn't right, it can be frustrating and bloody annoying, the system is under pressure and human nature being what it is they are not looking for more work, but if you have a real problem they are actually very good at their job.
Equally you may get a really good solution straight off. I hope you do.
And if you get back on the bike get a helmet with a bloody great peak so you aren't tempted to look up!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Spud

Luckily my Mrs is a Chiropractor so regular treatments off her, plenty of massages booked and I'm looking at 6 month's off the bike to rehab my neck. The Mrs god bless her cotton socks, has already spoken about me getting a lighter bike  :bug_eye

I am under orders to change the way I ride, more breaks and less daily mileage  :icon_rolleyes:  but if all this keeps me on the bike it will be a small price to pay.

I turned the telly on yesterday and the GP came on, instant thought "I should be there now", actually my thoughts were a little stronger than that.

It's going to be a long winter  :icon_frown:

Bixxer Bob

Firstly, sorry to hear about your probs Spud (sorry to hear you're having probs that is, not sorry you're telling us) but thought I could add a few tips of my own.

You are quids-in having in-house help but it's for nought if you don't get to the root of the problem.  I rode a 150 mile commute twice a week while having back and neck problems and that didn't make anything worse. In fact, the chiropractor was in favour of it as long as it wasn't causing pain as it's very good for core strength. But while I was doing it I was very careful about posture.  I found on the Tiger that although it's a lovely upright position, I had a tendency to sag after a few miles so my shoulders would go down, my pelvis would tilt forward and there'd be pressure on the small of my back.  It took mental effort to sit up straight and hold it, aping a GS rider sitting tall in the saddle with shoulders back and stomach muscles drawn in to correct the pelvis / small-of-back misalignment.

Looking back,  I realise most of my problems were due to dreadful posture sitting behind a desk for years on end.  Even using the gym regularly didn't compensate enough.  Since I retired I've been much better and especially since I took a part-time job recently which involves being up and about and some medium / heavy lifting.  I feel better and have fewer back problems than I've had for years.  Good luck with yours, but remember that if you're having to rest, slumping in an armchair is not going to help.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

Cheers Bob, the Mrs has already picked up my posture on the Tiger, so we will be going to town on that. She has spoken about the weight of the bike but said that should not be to much of a problem. My MRI report is err interesting  :bug_eye  Arthritis in some not nice places. The eagle was the last straw so to speak, which is where I think the sprained ligament that runs along side the spinal cord comes from. 

My body has been abused in numerous ways  :icon_redface:  :icon_razz: over the years and I'm starting to pay the price now  :icon_rolleyes: 24 years government service  :icon_salut:  but I will not be going down without a fight, Irish catholic Father Welsh presbaterian Mother there's a little bit of stubbornness in there.

I have an MRA screen on the thing at the moment so may look at the palmer screen system to see if that will give a little more protection.

I have been looking at the alternatives out there and most come in at the 215kg's mark so not a great weight saving advantage and I would loose the great 955i engine which is running really well at 32k on the clock.

All thoughts gratefully appreciated  :eusa_clap

Bixxer Bob

I have the same sort of service (36yrs) abuse as you that's why I chipped in. My scan showed several worn out discs.  Plus age isn't helping.  I've found that the shortened Hagon lowering the whole bike about an inch makes the world of difference moving it about.  Makes it a bit harder to put on the main stand though.  Once it's rolling you don't notice the weight so much.  Can't remember what screen I have I'll look tomorrow.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

Bob, appreciated as always.  :eusa_clap

Sin_Tiger

Would some single malt aid the recovery process  :icon_scratch: it would certainly make you forget things  :new_all_coholic
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 01, 2013, 05:54:47 PM
Would some single malt aid the recovery process  :icon_scratch: it would certainly make you forget things  :new_all_coholic

When used for medicinal purpose's  :bug_eye   i.e. as a muscle relaxant I think it would work a treat  :icon_rolleyes:

I have been thinking about a set of riser's to help with posture on the bike and a lower rear shock which I thought was a good suggestion as I do have to tip toe whilst sat on the bike.

Bixxer Bob

When I first lowered it, it felt like sitting in it rather than on it. And I was slightly unhappy about losing that taller-than-everything-else feeling.  But then, on the recent Scotland trip, I used an Airhawk that I originally bought for my wife. It was brilliant; all-day comfy, height restored on long trips, but removable for everyday use.

Just one thing, it moves around with the flimsy straps that come with it. I binned them and fastened it down with a couple of short bungies.  Sorted! :thumbsup