News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Aux Plug

Started by fraserdog, November 04, 2013, 12:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

Does anyone know where I can get an 12v aux plug to fit the aux socket on my 2002,i want to set up the trickle charger throught the aux socket but can't find where I can get a compatible plug.Would this be the correct one  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-12V-CONTINENTAL-HELLA-STYLE-DIN-PLUG-MOTORHOMES-BMW-TRIUMPH-CIG-LIGHTER-/331056776946?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4d148586f2
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

John Stenhouse

Yep that's the one. Why don't you go to the camping shop in Witney they should have them.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

I've got one on my 2001 and it's stock it's also crap because I can never be sure of it charging the battery hence why I've have a pigs tail off the battery,and I hear exactly the same drama's on the K1200's board about the same,direct to the battery you won't get any nasty suprises then.

metalguru

Have been using these for years with everyday use as they are brass construction with a sprung cap, slightly dearer but do not give any problems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-15A-CONTINENTAL-HELLA-DIN-ACCESSORY-SOCKET-/221262483354?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3384458f9a

As soon as I come back from a ride I just plug straight into the Optimate easy when fitted to all the bikes.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: metalguru on November 04, 2013, 08:48:23 PM
Have been using these for years with everyday use as they are brass construction with a sprung cap, slightly dearer but do not give any problems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-15A-CONTINENTAL-HELLA-DIN-ACCESSORY-SOCKET-/221262483354?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3384458f9a

As soon as I come back from a ride I just plug straight into the Optimate easy when fitted to all the bikes.

Yup, and the Optimate / Oximiser tells me straight away if it's not connected.  Ok, so I have to check the display, but I'm in the garage every day anyway.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I've stopped plugging mine into an Optimate all the time having done so then having one(battery) drop of a cliff when used I tend to leave e'm 2/3/4 weeks then plug in and make e'm work.

Each to own about how to charge the battery but a bit of contradiction doing the SS to avoid the harness and but use it charge the battery  :icon_scratch:

fraserdog

I've got a couple of the smart chargers from Aldi  :icon_redface:,I use one on my car and leave it on 24/7 and have done for over a year with no problems,there virtually the same as a CTEK chargers except the CTEK will resume working after a power cut whereas mine has to be reset,they have a visable voltage status so i'll at least know when it is charging.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Quote from: fraserdog on November 04, 2013, 09:59:51 PM
I've got a couple of the smart chargers from Aldi  :icon_redface:,I use one on my car and leave it on 24/7 and have done for over a year with no problems,there virtually the same as a CTEK chargers except the CTEK will resume working after a power cut whereas mine has to be reset,they have a visable voltage status so i'll at least know when it is charging.

With 4 bikes and 4 cars I've known the time when going away during the winter skiing I've had e'm all on an Optimate cough  :icon_redface: I've got 8 from the very early MK1 with a connector that doesn't work with any of the others to the very latest Starship Enterprise version that will even lift the battery on my Sprinter van to a full charge non of the earlier versions will do that.,but my experience leaving them on all the time hasn't worked for me in the past,you need to let them discharge far more than a tender will do.

Bixxer Bob

Funny what you say about the Sprinter,  I leave my Ducato based motorhome on my Oximiser all winter and it keeps it in good condition.  The one problem I've found with them though is that if there's a power failure, they stay in standby and then they properly kill the battery if not reset quickly.  I went to war for 4 months leaving my Blackbird on the Optimate.  My wife thought I'd forgotten to turn it off so did  it for me.  There wasn't so much as a single volt left in that battery when I got back.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SilverTiger

In answer to the original question, I got my Optimate charger plug adaptor for the Triumph socket from Alex George Motorcycles in Berinsfield, Oxon. (Next to the H Cafe.)
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

Chris Canning

I've just checked and sadly mine has the fitting for MK1 Optimate but anyone in the West Mids who wants to call in they can have it.

Could have separate thread about batteries,last year I took an 8/9 year Odyssey off my 1100s for no other reason felt guilty,it now powers an inspection light at the local bike breakers over a year on,and the Varta that I took of my 955 in September is doing the same and that was only the second in 12 years.

fraserdog

My Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 battery lasted 15 years from new without a charge (other than the bike) and it only died when it lagged a bit and I boost charged it by mistake :icon_sad:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

I bought, mine from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-24v-Male-Din-Accessory-Power-Plug-Connector-16A-Hella-Trucks-Triumph-BMW-/370847366270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565839bc7e

I'll pop back later and tidy this thread up; as Chris suggests, I'll prune the battery stuff and put it in its own thread

fraserdog

Just bought 3 exactly the same from the same place,1 for me and 2 for my mate. :icon_biggrin:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Spud

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/towzatronics/Contact-Us.html

I contacted these direct and they were very helpful

cheers Spud  :thumbsup