News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper 3 spoke conversion

Started by GavD, December 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Weather dependant of course rybes, bit of a fair weather biker nowadays!

Looking forward to a little spin to see if it's much different to the mustang setup I was running.

Gonna have to leave the rear as the 6 spoke at the moment as I don't have a tyre for the rear, so it'll be an 18 inch rear instead of a 17. not sure how much effect it would have changing to the 17.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

rf9rider

I had the 6 spokes on my first Steamer, it tended to tip into the corners faster, plus as you probably already know, it raises the seat a little more.

As for the handlebar risers, i bought a set of Rox Risers, which raise the bars and brings them back, along with the Moose bars, it makes the riding position about perfect for me.

GavD

Replacement fork has turned up, but at some point it has been resprayed and doesn't match the other leg, so gotta get the rattle tins out again. Think I'll just go for black Hammerite smooth.

Tried getting the new leg apart, but it was stuck solid, ended up drilling out the damper rod retaining bolt from the bottom of the fork, that sorted it ok.

Just gotta rub down both forks, mask up the one already built and get spraying then I can start to get the front end built back up again and sat down on it's wheels to measure up for fork gaiters. Also on the lookout for some risers to bring the bars back and up a bit.

I've also been looking at some Renthal bars and found some ATV ones in the UK for £40 that give a bit more rise and sweep back, might give them a go if the riser option doesn't work.

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rybes

these where what i was thinkin of. im sure ive seen em cheaper than that tho. if not cant see itbein too difficult to get some made or make yaself http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW-MOTECH-MOTORCYCLE-31mm-UP-22MM-BACK-BLACK-HANDLEBAR-RISERS-/291033328725?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43c2f02c55

GavD

The SW Motech ones were what I was looking at, or maybe some ROX ones that you just rotate and clamp in the right position.

GavD

New fork all done now, both lowers repainted.
Bolted it all back together and got it set down on the wheels for measuring up for the fork gaiters. Ordered them today so just gotta wait for them to turn up then strip it all down again to fit 'em.

Only thing then is to get out on a test ride to see if I need to do something with the handlebars.

rybes

comin tgetha well mate  :icon_mrgreen: bet ya cant wait to get out on it

GavD

rybes

you got rain too ? ive been in denmark from 13th of dec. only had 1 or 2 dry days

GavD

It's been pretty relentless here, ground is full of water so it's got nowhere to go and hence lots of people are being flooded out.

Lots of power lines down too which is good for my overtime!! MORE TIGER BITS!!!

GavD

Got me fork gaiters and fitted them today, so that should be the last time I've got to drop the forks out. Got the tank back on tonight to get her running again as i haven't started it for about 4 or 5 weeks. Switched the fuel on and left it for a minute to fill up the bowls, only to find fuel dripping off the airbox on the left hand side where it is leant over on it's sidestand. Removed tank and had a good look around, but couldn't find anything obvious. Sticky float????

Left it a while then started it with the fuel off, got it running ok so left it running for a minute then switched fuel tap on. Let it get right up to temp then switched it off. Left fuel tap on for a while and no fuel leaking out so presume it was a sticky float that freed up with the vibration of the engine.

Just waiting on some new LED dash lights turning up as some of mine have started to fail then I can get the fairing back on and wait for some dry weather to get it out on a test run & decide if I need some risers. Will post up some finished pics when it's all back together.

Last thing will be to get some tyres sorted.

rybes

yep definatly a sticky float or a bit of crap stuck in the needle. had the same thing when i rode back from denmark the other year. stopped to check the map n saw petrol pourin out. just carried on ridin to save loosin loads. only prob was they wouldnt let me on the ferry :( so i jus kept tappin the carbs n evetually it stopped leakin, luckily

GavD

Cheers Rybes,

Just looked at weather and might get a break in the rain from tomorrow til sunday, so fingers crossed I can get out on it at the weekend.

Mustang

what's the new trail dimension ?.................that's gonna be the determining factor in how it handles.

96mm is standard steamer spec.