News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper 3 spoke conversion

Started by GavD, December 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

I used the sprint internals after reading your posts.

I have used some progressive steamer springs which are longer than the standard springs, but shorter than the standard spring plus the spacer that fits on top of them. So I made up some spacers to make the progressive ones as long as the standard + spacer. I think it's making it sit a bit high though. I'll wait till you measure yours, but i was thinking I could either remove the spacers or drop the yokes down the forks a bit.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Looks excellent mate  :thumbsup funny but I think it makes it look 30kg lighter :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

I bet it don't feel it!

If anyone with a standard steamer could measure the forks from fork top to wheel spindle centre when the bike is on the side stand I'd be v grateful. Just to use as a comparison. Like a dummy, I didn't measure mine before I stripped it down.

rybes

from what i can remember mine felt slightly higher than it did from stock. think i got a set of standard forks too so ill measure them for ya too.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

Quote from: GavD on January 11, 2014, 06:22:32 PM
I bet it don't feel it!

If anyone with a standard steamer could measure the forks from fork top to wheel spindle centre when the bike is on the side stand I'd be v grateful. Just to use as a comparison. Like a dummy, I didn't measure mine before I stripped it down.

95 steamer OEM triumph progressive springs .................on sidestand ,weighted with bikes weight , measured lefthand side . 812 mm from axle center to fork tube top , not the cap also just the fork tube top

98 steamer sitting straight up with weight on it , traxxion reworked front forks ............. same ,812mm axle center to fork tube top .

Geoff W

96 Steamer , Hagon Progressive springs, on side-stand , 855 mm, to axle centre, allow 1-2mm error for useless operator.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

GavD

Thanks to mustang and Geoff, but there seems to be a big difference between yours :icon_scratch:

Rybes, I've still got my showas, which measure 890mm fully extended out of the bike.

I was going on an estimation of them compressing by 30-40mm under the bikes weight, but by mustangs measurements it looks like they sit down a bit more than that. Geoffs sounds about right. Got a quick run on it today and it did feel a bit more 'chopper' than before.

I've taken out the spacers I had made for it and it's now 10mm lower. I'll get out on it again and start tweaking it a bit to suit me.

Think I'll be needing some of those up and back risers too.

rf9rider

Gav, just measured mine, from top of the fork where it sits level flush with the yoke to axle centre is 93cm.

I have 1 inch spacers on top of the fork springs.

Yours might change a little as i see you still  have the 18 inch rear wheel, where as mine has the Trophy 17 inch rear.

Looks good though.  :thumbsup

GavD

Thanks, maybe it's just a case of getting used to it.  I've got the chain adjusters flipped over to lower the rear at the moment, might flip them back to level it up again.

And then at some point get a tyre for the 17 wheel which will change things again. Looks like I've got a lot of tinkering and test rides coming up.

rybes

heres a pic of mine from the side. dont look much deiffernt to yours. i think yours looks taller cos of the mudguard and the fork gaitors

GavD

Ooops, just found I only had 25psi in the front tyre  :bug_eye, might account for odd feeling from front end yesterday.

Started raining again so another spin around the block will have to wait.

I was comparing with your photos yesterday Rybes and you're right, it doesn't look much different. Have you got your fork tops level with the yokes?

rybes

the fork tops are but the fork plug is above the yokes. im leavin here tnite  :icon_sad: so when i get back ill take some pics for ya

GavD

Thanks mate, you got pre-load adjusters then? I've just got standard caps. which are set level with the yokes.

GavD

Got the bike out for a 10 mile run in the fading light today, it definitely feels twitchier on the front end.  It feels like it drops into slow corners. Above 25mph it feels better, but seems to follow and track any cracks in the road. Guess I just need to get used to it.

Anyway, it started to run a bit lumpy near the end, low down in the rev range, it sounded like it was misfiring on tickover and there was the smell of unburnt fuel. Switched off and left the fuel tap on, again fuel was dropping off the airbox LH side. Looks like I'll be getting the carbs out at some point in the near future. Wish I'd sat the tank back on her whilst I was doing the front end and started it occasionally instead of just leaving it for 6 weeks.

Mustang

it's how much you altered the trail making it "twitchy"
pull those tubes up in the yokes about 20mm to get some of the bikes weight back on the front end