News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A good day

Started by JayDub, February 16, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

A thought  :sign13 I've sometimes felt this bike to be slightly undergeared, and since the rear wheel is apparently from a Girly then is it pos that the Girly runs a different size rear sprocket, and that has come with the wheel? methinks I have some tooth counting to do  :blah

dave NL

Normally the wheels come without the sprocket carrier. I would guess the stock one is fitted in place. It droppes right in the Girly wheel.

I do understand what you mean, a little smaller rear sprocket would not hurt regarding gearing ratio. On the highway the bike seems a bit high in revs. Will cost some torque by mounting a smaller sprocket.  :icon_mrgreen:
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Sin_Tiger

QuoteWill cost some torque

We are in the fortunate position of having an adequate amount  :icon_mrgreen:

No I've sussed it, he's going for the 5k  :XXcomputer
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

For Girlies, going up to 19 front and doing the airbox mod is the way forward, ask Chris.  Stock rear is 46 T
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2014, 10:12:55 AM
For Girlies, going up to 19 front and doing the airbox mod is the way forward, ask Chris.  Stock rear is 46 T

:icon_scratch: are you lost again?

No I've sussed it, he's going for 5k posts  :XXcomputer  :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Erm, thanks Bob  :icon_confused: As for steamers... is it normally 48/18 sprockets, mine seems to want to be in the gear below most of the time like its under stress, but over 50 it flies - sometimes I think I'm doing 60 but its actually 80-85 :icon_lol:

Mustang

threepot

Out of curiosity,is a 19t avail for the Steamer? If so,has anyone tried it?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on February 21, 2014, 06:57:15 PM
Out of curiosity,is a 19t avail for the Steamer? If so,has anyone tried it?
I've not tried one but 17 and 19 are available for the steamer, Also variations for the rear...
http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/index.php/26/435298/
And has Sin_Tiger spoken to you re the Ponderosa on 9th March?

JayDub

As I suspected... The rear sprocket is a 44 tooth,  that would account for the odd feeling low in the rev range, I have not checked the front due to the faffing about needed to get to it but I suppose its pos that someone would also fit a 19 tooth on the front in their quest to gain more acceleration... am I thinking right? :icon_rolleyes:

threepot

A bigger sprocket on the front benefits high up in the rev range,yes? Fancy trying one for touring. But will probably lose the nice pick up from nothing,and just being able to roll on and off in top gear. So really,I've just talked myself out of this idea :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

dave NL

From 48 to 44 is quit a big step. It will lower the revs relative to speed. But torque will be sacrificed.

If i would change anything i would not even touch the front sprocket, but only tinker with the rear one, probably 46 will do just fine to lower the revs a bit. It is the opposite with the front sprocket, smaller more torque and revs and bigger les tor, well you get the idea.

I also thought about this mod, but im leaving it stock, it is a part of the whole character of the bike i think.

Getting the tiger back on the road.

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on February 23, 2014, 12:25:33 AM
A bigger sprocket on the front benefits high up in the rev range,yes? Fancy trying one for touring. But will probably lose the nice pick up from nothing,and just being able to roll on and off in top gear. So really,I've just talked myself out of this idea :icon_scratch:
that's the prob I now have, well all of those really, Its an almost new Renthall C&S set as well so to make myself happy I'm gonna have to fork out 25 quid for a 48 tooth rear - bummer! - but yes, don't do it unless you're going on a big hike, even then if fully loaded you'll be up and down the box on all but dual carriage ways and motorways.

JayDub

Quote from: dave NL on February 23, 2014, 09:56:55 AM
From 48 to 44 is quit a big step. It will lower the revs relative to speed. But torque will be sacrificed.

If i would change anything i would not even touch the front sprocket, but only tinker with the rear one, probably 46 will do just fine to lower the revs a bit. It is the opposite with the front sprocket, smaller more torque and revs and bigger les tor, well you get the idea.

I also thought about this mod, but im leaving it stock, it is a part of the whole character of the bike i think.
:iagree I would prefer to stay with the OE set-up as I don't do a lot of high speed touring atm, I avoid motorways if I can (too boring) The twisties are far more interesting so I just allow more time to get there, and if needs arise I can always tweek.

JayDub

HA! it gets even better... I only counted half of the rear sprocket teeth at first as I couldn't be arsed getting the paddock stand from the shed, but now I've checked properly I find that the rear is not 44 but actually.................... 42 TEETH!!!! - AND the front sprocket is..................17 TEETH!!! :bug_eye
I think the PO has probably gone over to a sports bike by now :icon_scratch:
No wonder it felt so crap at low speed.