News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

battery help

Started by exchead, March 02, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 05, 2014, 12:30:30 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on March 04, 2014, 11:35:28 PM
Started mine up today after it's been spread all over the garage floor for 5 months in pieces and it ran like a Swiss watch  :icon_biggrin:

Does that mean you didn't manage to sort out the ticking noise  :icon_wink: or does it make a cuckoo noise when you back off the throttle  :icon_lol:

It means I keep it nice and clean and then I don't have to  F about with it as much as some do  :icon_lol:

exchead

right a little update on my battery charging problems,checked out the fuse box and fuse 2 the 30 amp one has got hot and welded itself to fuse box, managed to get it out and changed it volts are now up when running to 13.4,what does this fuse cover as bike will run without  it fitted,am i still looking at reg replacement?

Bixxer Bob

Reg is ok at those volts, lucky man. It's rarely that simple.  Make sure you give it all a good clean and protect with dielectric grease.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

exchead

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 06, 2014, 01:59:48 PM
Reg is ok at those volts, lucky man. It's rarely that simple.  Make sure you give it all a good clean and protect with dielectric grease.
thanks for info i assume fuse 2 covers the charging side of things from regulator

Bixxer Bob

Haynes wiring diagram doesn't identify the fuses by number but the charging circuit fuse has brown wire going to and from it so if number 2 is brown both ways, that's it.

Edit:  Checked the Triumph diagram; fuse 2 is the charging circuit and feeds the battery via the main fuse outside the battery box so I recommend checking and cleaning that one too if you haven't already.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

exchead

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 06, 2014, 11:53:30 PM
Haynes wiring diagram doesn't identify the fuses by number but the charging circuit fuse has brown wire going to and from it so if number 2 is brown both ways, that's it.

Edit:  Checked the Triumph diagram; fuse 2 is the charging circuit and feeds the battery via the main fuse outside the battery box so I recommend checking and cleaning that one too if you haven't already.
main fuse on side of battery box shows no signs of getting hot like fuse 2 in box on top of bike :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Well slap me down  :bug_eye

Riding home last night, main beam and spotlights on, voltmeter showing 13.7V but heated grips off.  Put the heated grips on with the spots and the reg/rec says you've gotta be effing joking..... and drops off to about 12v so switch them of again.

Five minutes later and only about 2 miles from home pffutt.  9.8V and dim lights.  Engine remained running so I quickly realised I'm on battery only.  Got home and put her to bed. 

Checked her out this morning and sure enough, fuse 2 is burned.  Cleaned everything up and replaced the fuse and all is well again. 

The moral of this story is, ... next time you're in the shed, take two minutes to check out the fuses.  Usually all they'll need if anything is a quick wipe.  But the 30AMP number two works fairly hard (that's why it's 30 AMP) so needs a bit more care.  Like the tank drain, it's one of those things you mean to get round to, but seldom do until you burn something or get water in your tank.

Chris Canning

exchead

well just to be on safe side i have also done away with fuse 2 and done the wiring mod with an in line maxi fuse from the rec/reg direct onto battery as per the how to guide and gained a slight volt increase well happy,i didnt feel happy seeing all that melted platic in my fuse box.

metalguru

Might want to have a look here as this mod worked great on mine.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13193.msg96864.html#msg96864

May help in the stickies too!!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.