News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1995 Finally Getting Properly Sorted

Started by ssevy, April 27, 2014, 03:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Okay, a clean work space and a clean work table for parts and tools, all ready to begin:

Just to review, I bought this last summer with 17,000 miles on it. The only things I did before riding last summer were new tires, new Powerbronze screen, new battery, new grips, new handlebars, new LED indicator bulbs and LED tail light bulbs that blink fast 3 times before going to a steady red every time you hit the brake. I also adjusted and lubed the chain. When I put it away for winter, I changed the oil and filter, and sent the seat to Renazco over the winter to be rebuilt.

Here is the list of things to be completed this round, including things I found today that are new items:
1- Rebuild factory rear shock and swap in the correct spring for my weight
2- Rebuild front forks and install intiminator valves
3- Check valve clearances
4- Replace coils with new Nologys (my Legend had Gills, but I was surprised to discover these are PVLs; still, they are 20 years old at this point)
5- New Plugs and Nology Hotwires (the Hotwires plug caps seal just fine; maybe they changed the design on these?)
6- Replace cracked airbox
7- Flush and replace coolant; new hoses as necessary
8- Flush and replace brake and clutch fluids
9- Check disc thickness and runout, pads as well
10- Pull carbs and replace cracked rubbers. May as well take them apart and check them while they are out (I hate to touch them as it runs so well)
11- Install new SW Motech center stand
12- Install new Hepco Becker engine bars
13- Install new LED long range aux lights
14- Replace headlight bulbs with new LEDs
15- Remove and rebuild or replace petcock
16- New rubber washers for some of the bolts
17- Clean and lube all fasteners; clean and lube all wire connections
Probably more stuff, once I get into it more...

Here is the RH air box extension; must have leaked like a sieve with the cracked bottom and folded over rubber connector:

The plugs looked good, but the carb rubbers have surface cracks, so they need updating. Does the new airbox come with the two side extensions, or just the main front part? Also, I bought an extra valve cover gasket last summer, but I can't remember if it is for the Legend or the Tiger. Part# is T1260192. Can anyone confirm this is for the Tiger?

Well, that's enough for today. Back at it tomorrow. Here's the parts table so far:

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

HeavyHustler

Nice!  If you get a chance can you take a pic of the routing of your rear shock res?
Cheers!

Sin_Tiger

Might want to add rear shock linkage overhaul, they usually get neglected. Surprised it ran as well as you say with the plenum Chambers (air side boxes) missing, I might have a spare set lying around  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 27, 2014, 08:57:21 AM
Might want to add rear shock linkage overhaul, they usually get neglected. Surprised it ran as well as you say with the plenum Chambers (air side boxes) missing, I might have a spare set lying around  :icon_scratch:
They weren't missing. Just the RH one had that big gap you see in the picture, and rubber junction was folded over so more air was leaking there as well.

ssevy

Quote from: HeavyHustler on April 27, 2014, 04:06:35 AM
Nice!  If you get a chance can you take a pic of the routing of your rear shock res?
Cheers!

Here you go. Keep in mind I don't know the history of this bike, and it may have been off before and re-routed at some point. I made them large photos to help you see:

ssevy

I assume everyone has thrown out the foam insert for routing the cables under the tank? Mine is all warped and dried up and was just sort of wedged under there.

nickjtc

Yes, Triumph part # T1260192 is "seal, cam cover periphery 3cyl". Just got one for Stanley. $33.99Can, incidentally.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Sin_Tiger

Sorry I missed that on the small screen. You should be able to stick them back together or plastic weld if you want to do a proper job, they are ABS.

That routing looks pretty much like all the ones I have seen, which doesn't of course guarantee it was that way from the factory  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Thanks SSEVY!!!  After I rebuilt the shock the first time I routed it underneath the frame.  Barely got the res through there...... :icon_rolleyes:
That way looks much easier.  Does anyone know the "stock" routing?

PS-  what are those foot pegs? :icon_study:

rf9rider

Mines routed the same as Sevvys which i presume is stock.

The footpegs look like the ones Mustang makes and sells, got some on mine, one of the best mods i`ve done as they lower the peg around an inch, much more comfortable on the knees!

ssevy

I couldn't ride without Mustang's pegs. The extra width and lowered position make all day riding a pleasure. The stockpegs really made my arches sore, and cramped my legs as well. Sometimes an inch can make all the difference :icon_mrgreen:

Sin_Tiger

ssevy

Looking kind of forlorn at this point:

Sin_Tiger