News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flooding carb

Started by TR5TRIDER, August 20, 2014, 04:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Recently, I posted, regarding an issue with non firing cylinder below 3000 rpm (cyl. #3).I removed carbs, cleaned jets and passages, fitted new orings to float assemblies. This did cure the problem, although another one has come up. I road tested the bike about a 35 mile run and was pleased at the way she performed and sounded. 2 days later went out for a run planned to take me about 200 miles, at about 65 miles I stopped in a small town for a cool beverage and forgot to turn off the petcock. Maybe 25 minutes later I tried to start her and no joy. I smelled gasoline and discovered the bitch was pissing gas from the air box.Turned off petcock and left her alone for about an hour. When I hit the button she fired and ran but now one cylinder (#2) was not firing at low rpm but would come back on above 3000 rpm. I made the 65 mile run back home and the condition was pretty much consistent.
Any thoughts? Same problem as before but shifted from #3 to #2! I put new orings in all 3 carbs. float levels are identical in all 3. Float needles? They looked ok to my eyes (not very good .......The eyes i mean).

Mustang

if gas was dripping out airbox your crankcase is probably full of gasoline for starters ............. been there done that .
check your oil
what are the coils on it and did you by any chance swap coils with #2 and #3 ?
a bad coil will fail after it heats up  :nod
the dripping gas could well be a fluke , I've had it happen more than once .on a couple different steamers
does your tank vent work ? when the pressure gets high in the tank from sitting in sun with a non working cap vent ...........well it's gotta go somewhere and could easily push by the float needles.

or did you pinch / cut an oring when you put them back together .

just throwing out different scenarios ...........

TR5TRIDER

Thanks for the Response Mustang. I am using the T600 ign coil caps. Have some extras as I use them on both my Tiger and Sprint. Yes the bike was parked up in the direct sun at about 98F. for about 25 mins. the tank drain is clear (that is the alloy one set in under side of the tank) Is that also the vent? I don't believe that I damaged the orings. Think the first thing I shall try is swapping #2 &#3 coil caps to see if the problem moves with coil cap. I have ordered some float needles but first will try coil caps.

Mustang

thats only a drain for rain water that gets under the cap to prevent egress into tank
the actual vent is thru the key slot on the cap , its got little springs and flappers and such in it .

threepot

Something similar happened to me a while back after working on carbs. One of the float assemblies had dropped down.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on August 20, 2014, 02:08:14 PM
thats only a drain for rain water that gets under the cap to prevent egress into tank
the actual vent is thru the key slot on the cap , its got little springs and flappers and such in it .

A bit OT. Does anyone else have a "sighing Steamer"? As the temperature changes / petrol evaporates, the vent on both mine make a little sighing noise, maybe it's just attention seeking  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 20, 2014, 03:36:56 PM

A bit OT. Does anyone else have a "sighing Steamer"? As the temperature changes / petrol evaporates, the vent on both mine make a little sighing noise, maybe it's just attention seeking  :icon_wink:
they all do it ......or should .
that's how you can tell the vent is working

TR5TRIDER

Threepot, I did have difficulty seating the float assembly on one of the carbs. will check if i have to pull carbs again.

TR5TRIDER

My Sprint makes that sound but I have never heard Tiger do it. How to test cap for venting?

ram33

also check if any debris from tank has got back into carb and is stopping needle from sealing
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

threepot

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on August 20, 2014, 04:21:29 PM
My Sprint makes that sound but I have never heard Tiger do it. How to test cap for venting?
Is there a 'whooshing' sound when you open the cap?
The venting sound is like a whale song :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

All Triumph's with plastic tanks sing the song of dissappointment when they are left in the garage.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

MY 900 Trident had a metal tank and it used to sigh too....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

I'm the only one sighing when I go into the garage... in love with my fantastic bike!  :icon_biggrin:

And the fact that it's a 'he' means nothing......  :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

It's actually quite comforting, like an old friend in the garage with you.

Anyway, I seem to have done it again, better get back OT or this won't help the OP  :tin hat
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint