News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

some newbie questions

Started by mark_s, October 04, 2014, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_s

Hi

Just getting my insurance write off 06 back on the road and I have a few general questions

1/ Oil level is checked by screwing the dipstick all the way in as opposed to just sitting it on top of the threads?
2/ My top shock bush seems a bit sloppy (3-4mm up/down movement at the shock) -  I cant seem to find a part number for the top shock bearing - can someone suggest a source?
3/ Is vibration through the bars above 6000 normal? are bar end weights stock - mine came with some Italian ones on the bent bars the bike came with?
4/ I have to fibreglass the inside of the triumph panniers to repair a big crack in each lid - will polyester resin stick to the plastic ok? 
5/ The stock screen puts my helmet in dirty air unless I sit bolt upright - are shorter screens available or has anyone trimmed their stock screen down?

many thanks

Mark

John Stenhouse

Some answers,
1/ Yes that's the correct method, some use oil, some don't.

2/ Can't help, but was I you that would be on my list of changes, an aftermarket shock makes a world of difference.

3/ Yep

4/ No Idea

5/ This you could write books on, screens and the variations vol6, Sports screens are available but only secondhand, most people get by on an MRA Vario screen, but it's personal what works for you.

The Search button will help you here.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Johns covered all the angles but the vibe thing pheww that's a can of worms because my darling wife thinks it's great fun to take the Mickey out of me when we are riding along and I hold the left bar end with my fore finger and thumb to check the vibes.

I get little vibration from mine at any speed but I need to be over 8 before I can feel is grafting and I've found the two reasons are the rear chain which has to be set right in other words not like it says in the book because that's wrong!!! and the other is the fuel map,it must have been 3 years ago ish Bixxer will remember I had a map blown into the bike 2010 ish?? on the way home jeeze it was fantastic felt like it had another 20hp which was great for riding around the block not much good for a 500 mile day because of the vibes.

The problem with the map is you either educate yourself like Bixxer or MM or do what I do with a dealer and you'll get just as much out of the bike with a decent quality after market shock which is another can of worms.

mark_s

Thanks for the answers guys
I'll pull the shock out and have a look at the bush

I'm sure the bike needs a complete tune as well

This morning I had the bike out warming up, helmet on, buddy waiting and  ooooh what's that wet patch on the ground under the right hand cylinder - smells like petrol....

fook - no ride for the Tiger (fortunately for me I have another bike) - looks like the fuel line from the right hand wing to the fuel pump got crimped a bit when the bike hit the ground  - hadn't noticed it before but then yesterday was the first time that I filled it right up

Is it a special type of hose?

John Stenhouse

No nothing special except it must be ethanol proof
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

mark_s

Quote from: John Stenhouse on October 05, 2014, 01:38:06 PM
No nothing special except it must be ethanol proof

Thanks for the response John

NortonCharlie

The polyester resin should stick fine to the plastic as long as it is scuffed good. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

mark_s

Quote from: NortonCharlie on October 08, 2014, 07:00:39 PM
The polyester resin should stick fine to the plastic as long as it is scuffed good.

Thanks for that _ need to have a play at fixing the rooted pannier lids

Well I finally got the Tiger back on the road and I took it for a decent ride today. I'm really really happy with it

Its not bland like the vstrom and tdm900 I rode and is good on gas and great on dirt roads.

Thanks guys all for the help in getting it this far

Waihi Falls

Sweet mustang in Ekatahuna

Found some stunning new roads east of Ekatahuna

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

We are going to need more photo of where you ride .... And that mustang!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

mark_s

Thanks for the comments guys - I'm lucky to have some awesome unpopulated areas to ride in within an hour or so of where I live

a quick question - I pulled the shock out today as the top mount had 2-4mm slop in it. The rubber bushing seems ok so the slop must be in the bolt to bush - as though the bolt wasn't tight enough to clamp the top bush inner shaft tightly in the frame mount and yet the  bolt seemed tight enough.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also are there 24 rollers in the bottom shock bearing?

If I remove the swingarm bolt should the swingarm come out? (I loosened the rear engine mounts in case it was crimping the frame in a bit) it seems pretty tight

Many thanks

Mark

Chris Canning

I'd put the shock back in and check where the slack is,as for the number of rollers can't help just looked at my old original shock and several have dropped out while stored away  :icon_redface: but if you have any doubts just have a new one pressed in.

Sin_Tiger

Not a Girly person but general roller bearing comment is that the rulers should all look straight with no gap more than 0.1mm when all pushed up together for that size range
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mark_s

Thanks for the answers guys.

Trying to remove the swingarm to grease/check the bearings.....

bike on centerstand, remove wheel and shock and swingarm bolt and the swingarm is still tightly held

I decided to loosen the rear engine mounts to allow the frame to spring open a little except you have to take off the footpeg hangers to get to the lower bolts and the foottpeg hanger bolts hold the center stand on which the bike is sitting on  :BangHead

an hour later the rear of the bike is supported by a health and safety inspectors nightmare that includes concrete blocks, car axle stands, some pipe from and old set of bunks and an old fork stanchion...

As soon as I loosened one lower engine mount the swingarm came free and while it was about time for new grease (18000mls) everything was in really good condition so it all worked out ok but what a lot of dicking about....

mark_s

Hi

I brought a cable, downloaded and installed the latest version of TuneEcu onto my windows 8 laptop and used it to upload the TOR (10173) map onto my bike (06 with high vin no).

What I seem unable to do it reset the tps. the tps option under the ecu heading is greyed out and I'm also unable to click any of the items on the left of the screen such as the fan test etc as they are also greyed out.

I get the green communication link up and if the engines running I can see the revs,temp,tps settings change.

I'm confused - am I missing something obvious?

cheers

Mark