News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fitting daytona 1000 rims

Started by wp75, November 06, 2014, 09:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wp75

Hello,

i am new here and have been searching how to switch my 95 steamer wheels for tubeless.
i found that mustang has used trophy wheels with the original fork tube and that's the route that i would like.
BUT i have found some daytona 1000 wheels for a quarter of the price than uses trophy rims.... so is it possible to make them fit?

i have seen a picture of a steamer with trident wheels that i believe are the same as the daytona 1000's. the rear should be a straight fit but how about the front in combination with the original forktube ?
and wil al disc's fit to those wheels?

Bixxer Bob

Welcome mate  :thumbsup  Until someone comes along with some input,  you might like to look at the various parts diagrams here:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.php/4276/1/parts_locator?gclid=CJPa3KXs5sECFfLJtAodnEkA8g

It's simple enough,  compare the part numbers from the Trophy wheels, Daytona wheels, forks, brakes etc and you'll be in a position to judge for yourself.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Or you could just convert your existing rims to use tubeless tyres. Many threads hereabouts on the several ways to do it. I did it last winter on my '96 and have covered 10,000+ trouble free kilometres.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

I went for the trophy rims for the width and the brake rotors
180/190 rears with 120 -17 up front and larger rotors
tubeless was just an added perk .

rf9rider

Do you mean the original Daytona wheels like these?

If yes, they will fit, these are Trident wheels fitted  to Steamer number 1, same as the Daytona wheels.

Only thing to note is the rear wheel is 18 inch  diameter,  so tyre choice is not so good compared to the 17 inch Trophy wheels, and also will lift the back end even higher!

The discs etc are the same as fitted to the Trophy so you can follow Mustangs guide to fitting them if you go that way.

wp75

nice !!

ok i'll go that route. its an old bike with lots of km's so don't want to spend to much money, and the trident rims are much cheaper.

do you know if i can fit the standard non floating discs from the tiger...? i just have put new discs on the standard tiger wheels...

main goal is going tubeless with the benefit of quicker steering.

thanks for all the replies !

Mustang

Quote from: wp75 on November 09, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

do you know if i can fit the standard non floating discs from the tiger...?

won't fit ...different bolt pattern

wp75

rf9rider

Keep us up to date with your progress.

wp75

I will do. will take some time because i have just got new tires. planning to buy the needed parts over a period of time and take the time to make it all fit.

the trident rims are solid, found out that the daytone rims are hollow = less weight!

find this site, nice !! http://trimotorevival.blogspot.nl/2014/08/six-spoke-wheels.html‏

wp75

was reading it wrong, hollow spokes are the new 96 trophy types..

wp75

Hello it has been some time but this thread is not dead...yet...

had to adress some other problems over winter: sump gasket replaced, not an easy task on an old bike with rusted bolts everywhere replaced a lot of bolts with stainless. also replaced the valve cover gasked and adjusted the valves. there were some oil leaks from both gaskets. think its overpressure from oil piston ring wear as the tiger uses quite a lot of oil with just over 150.000km. so next winter I am gonna look into that. In time i have purchased some wheels from a 1000 daytona and discs from a 900 sprint. So now I am thinking about the wheel spacers.
I let you know when there is some progres.

Mustang: As I understand the Tiger 17mm axle drives freely in the Daytona wheel and is only supported by the spacers.

wp75

Well... had a flat early oktober so that was a forced starting point for the conversion. The first pic shows the new wheels.

I decided to change the bearings of the front wheel - for the 20mm axle - with bearings that are used for the spoked wheels so there is no need for machined spacers. now i can just make some spacers from tube and if it works i will have the original spacer and speedo machined to the correct length. I will use an old gps unit for speed for now and when the original speedo is in il will calibrate the meter with some markings.
I have new bearing spacer installed for the reduced inner bearing size. the original was to wide and touched the seal of the bearing.
Measured the centre of the wheel and than made the spacers the correct length.
One point of concern: I think i kept the inner bearing spacer a bit to wide as the bearing at the speedo side it to far out of his housing. the new bearings are 2mm wider, but it is more out then that. solution is to get the bearing out and cut the spacer but at this point I just want to get the wheels in... should be fine, the bearing sits tight enough.

wp75

wp75