News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Fork Springs and Shock.

Started by Ron in Buffalo, March 24, 2015, 04:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in Buffalo

I have a 1999 885i Tiger.  I just bought a use Works Performance Shock.  I found the how to  thread how to replace it. However nothing on the fork springs. I have did a couple of searchs to find a thread on how to change the springs. Came up with nothing.  I would appreciate any assistance in getting the fork springs change.  Also what type I should be buying. The biggest question I have has anybody use a WP shock on their Girly? Ron

Dutch

Fork Springs: just use the manual on how to change the fork oil. Only instead of putting back the oem springs you put in the new ones. And the oil level is probably measured in air chamber i.o. volume. Air chamber measured without springs and with the fork compressed.

Shock: you already bought the darn thing, so ride it and make you own experiences  :icon_wink:
Since you mention it is a used one, if it has more than 10-15 kM on it I would suggest to have it serviced. Specially when it is used on unpaved roads the oil deteriorates relatively quickly.

PS, in Europe WP usually stands for WP Suspension, a former Dutch company now part of KTM. And since recently OEM supplier of the suspension for some of the Triumph models. Back in the eighties the first springs of this company of this company had a white coating (same as for hospital beds, that was what they could get at the time) so they named the company "White Power". Due to possible misunderstandings about the meaning it was later changed to simply "WP Suspension"

John Stenhouse

Ron, I have the WP shock on my 885i, been stunning so far, was never convinced until I fitted it then I saw what everyone who has changed the shock was talking about.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Ron in Buffalo

Hi Dutch the shock is Work Performance. I bought it off a Guy reports having it rebuilt. He reported that the engine blew up on his tiger decided to part it out instead of fixing it.

John thanks for the feedback. I like my 885i and it has 33k miles on it so the suspension is overdue.

Does anyone have a recommendation what fork springs I should buy. I am looking at Race Tech or Progressive I am looking for any other suggestions if you have one. 

Mustang

while there is nothing wrong with a good set of springs , don't expect to see much improvement (if at all) in the handling dept on the tiger forks....................... :augie

Chris Canning

It's OK buying second hand shocks so long as you know what weight they are sprung for??

Fork springs?? take your pick try 15 wt oil I run 720cc and Ohlins springs in mine.

Sin_Tiger

If you give everything a good clean and some fresh oil, that'll make as much difference as anything.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Are you guys all saying that there is not much difference whether you are running the stock linear springs in the fork or a progressive set from a good manufacturer? I find that interesting as it usually makes a lot of difference and the Tiger is quite soft at the front. I know a Hyperpro set are on my list for the future...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

A friend of a friend said he changed to progressive springs and it made a big difference for him, however his steamer was tuned towards sports style riding (?) until he threw it into a field in Yorkshire and killed it

Sin_Tiger

I put progressive springs in mine, didn't notice a huge difference other than all the progressive range being compressed when I sat on it.

I did notice a huge difference with a full fork rebuild, much better control in the bends and less had shake at sensible speeds.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Back in the room (the wrong room  :icon_rolleyes:) I'm talking about a steamer.

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 25, 2015, 08:51:00 PM
I put progressive springs in mine, didn't notice a huge difference other than all the progressive range being compressed when I sat on it.

I did notice a huge difference with a full fork rebuild, much better control in the bends and less had shake at sensible speeds.
:bad Please define 'sensible speeds'

Chris Canning

Good job you boys ain't setting up any of my bikes if it's shacking it's head it's down at the back putting stiffer springs in will make it worse.

Put after market springs in 15 wt oil and you have to do your own R+D about how much but if the rear shock is shagged or two soft from either setting or too softer spring you've no hope.

Sin_Tiger

The progressive spring I used was the same load rating as the original, just wound progressive for the first 15% of its length and as I thought I'd implied didn't make any difference to the riding characteristics.

I'm going back to my Steamer box now Chris  :icon_wink:

Dutch

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 24, 2015, 11:43:56 PM
If you give everything a good clean and some fresh oil, that'll make as much difference as anything.
I had the fork of my 955i serviced almost as soon as I got the bike, so can't really comment on the before / after. Might want to try a set of progressive fork springs in the future but am not unhappy with the front as is. Also the Wilbers didn't take very long to find it's way into the Triumph. Although I wasn't disappointed with the OEM shock with 63K km (40k M), I am pleased with the rear suspension now  :icon_biggrin:

Head Shake: please keep in mind the rear suspension has a big influence on this. The front suspension is only in the front, the effects of the rear suspension are noticable in both rear and front. When a shock has to little damping (wrong setting or completely deteriorated like on many older bikes) the front is easier to unsettle. Any movement not absorbed by the shock is transfered through the bike and it moves where it moves most easily: around the steering stem.

I used to own a Honda VF 750 S. Sabre in the US, Sport in EU. Speed Wobble in my dictionary  :icon_sad: