News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rust in the radiator

Started by RELIS, December 19, 2015, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RELIS

Do you know how i clean the rust on the radiator ??

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on December 20, 2015, 12:05:32 AM
In or on?

+1. On: use rust killer and paint it to make it look presentable. In: more serious things afoot....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

If you have been using the correct coolant and mix there should be no rust in the radiator. That should answer the question on how to stop further corrosion. But you can't "fix" it.

RELIS

The rust is in the radiator , i use coolant 1 liter  antifreeze for -50C  and the rest diluted for -12C.
I buy the moto used and non moved for about 2 years.

Mustang

Quote from: BruKen on December 20, 2015, 04:54:07 PM
If you have been using the correct coolant and mix there should be no rust in the radiator. That should answer the question on how to stop further corrosion. But you can't "fix" it.
I think he means rust in the coolant

Even the best of coolant mixes will turn to rust after awhile ........the steel cylinder liners that sit in the coolant box of the engine will just about guarantee orange coolant (read that as rust) after a couple years
for as little coolant that is actually in the engine , a drain and flush at every oil change is a good habit to get into . you won't see any rust either  :icon_wink:

BruKen

Quote from: Mustang on December 20, 2015, 07:25:21 PM
I think he means rust in the coolant

Even the best of coolant mixes will turn to rust after awhile ........the steel cylinder liners that sit in the coolant box of the engine will just about guarantee orange coolant (read that as rust) after a couple years
for as little coolant that is actually in the engine , a drain and flush at every oil change is a good habit to get into . you won't see any rust either  :icon_wink:

Coolant, like oil, has a service life. Or at least the inhibitors in the coolant do. Depending on the ratio used this can be between an annual or 3 year cycle. If you are mixing 50-50 as prescribed 3 years is the max you can stretch it for most modern variants

BruKen

Quote from: RELIS on December 20, 2015, 07:06:01 PM
The rust is in the radiator , i use coolant 1 liter  antifreeze for -50C  and the rest diluted for -12C.
I buy the moto used and non moved for about 2 years.

That is very bad form. There are a number of different types of anti freeze coolant and where as some will mix others do not. Generally if you want to protect to say -40C you choose a compatable coolant for the bike (again different types of coolant for different vehicle compatability, due to different metallurgies found in different engine cooling systems eg. Zinc, brass, aluminium, copper magnesium etc). So lets say your bike likes low silicate ethanal glycol. Choose a brand that will support up to -50C say and then you adjust the ratio of the mix. It's usually on the bottle eg 25% mix -15C, 33% -25C, 50% -50c etc. Dont mix and match coolants, some mixes will dilute effectiveness and cause silicate precipitation while other mixes can end up being corrosive with organic acids created and brown sludge.
Is it brown sludge you are seeing, or rust?

RELIS

threepot

As Mustang suggests..Drain whats in system,flush with clean water,then refill with a flushing agent. Allow it to do its work,Flush again,then fill with coolant mix. Not much else you can do? :^_^
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fishnbiker

Worst off if none of the others work, is removing & flushing. Call a radiator shop. A short dip, rinse & new paint. Removal straight forward but tedious.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Nick Calne

That's a good idea, get the rad refurbed.

All this puts me in mind to change my coolant while i have time, is it the blue or pink coolant type in a steamer?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

BruKen

Quote from: RELIS on December 22, 2015, 10:30:09 PM
Is brown sludge....

This is almost certainly from mixing antifreeze types then. There is not enough iron in the bike cooling passages to rust. The barrels are not press cast iron, they do not rust much more than a superficial patina at most and the only other iron will be found in the rad headers. Enough to taint the water, but not create sludge. You will need to flush the cooling system out now.
BTW, the coolant required is not so much for the antifreeze properties but to increase the boiling point. The biggest wear would be caused by water boiling at the microscopic level off the wet liners and causing cavitation erosion of the liner.

I'd have to look which type of coolant should be used, it's somewhere in the Heynes book of words.... but stick to that.

BruKen

Quote from: Nick Calne on December 23, 2015, 09:40:12 AM
That's a good idea, get the rad refurbed.

All this puts me in mind to change my coolant while i have time, is it the blue or pink coolant type in a steamer?

There is no standard of colour by antifreeze manufacturers, not a good guide.  You want ethylene glycol with corrosion inhibitors 50:50 deionised / distilled water mix. i.e. don't mix it yourself with tap water, get the premixed stuff unless you're into aquariums and have an RO water maker.

nickjtc

Quote from: BruKen on December 23, 2015, 04:24:55 PM
....get the premixed stuff ....

:iagree So much easier than faffing around trying to do it yourself with water of questionable origin.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"