News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer tires

Started by ghulst, February 27, 2016, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

I am looking to put a new set of tires on my steamer in the near future. Any suggestions? I currently have anakee 2's and am thinking I would like to be in the 80/20 area for road/offroad. I have had K60's suggested, but also Karoo 3's, Mitas E-07 etc.

Suggestions and reviews are very welcome.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JoeDirt

I do not have a Steamer. But, I was looking at the Heidenau K60s before the new Michelin's came out. They have good reviews, they have an aggressive tread and they fit Steamers. Take my advice like a grain of salt, I do not own or have experience with them...

http://heidenautires.com/dual-sport-tires/

ghulst

I like my Anakee 2's, but I feel the Anakee 3's are a little less when going off the paved roads...

JayDub

I used Tourance's and although they had a nice sure feeling on tarmac, I thought they were not as secure on mud or gravel, also I feel they wore a bit to soon for my liking.  I'm using Anakee II's now and find them as good on the road and more secure on loose stuff - though I've not put enough miles on them to determine the wear rate.  :blah

TigerWil

Been \"Down Under\"from Holland/Europe with my 3 mates on 3 Tigers 955 in oktober/november 2005 and drove 15.000 km in 8 weeks through the Red centre and the Westcoast of Australia ! See our website !

JoeDirt

Quote from: TigerWil on February 27, 2016, 09:41:35 PM
This could be something good for dirt roads !

The Anakee WILD  :qgaraduate

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/michelin-anakee-wild-dual-sport-tires/

Yea... go back to selling silencers. They do not make a Steamer sized rear tire (i.e. 140/80-17).

Sparky

Shinko 705's ?

I have these on my Steamer, the bike came with a new set and I have not used anything else yet so I have nothing to compare them to.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

JoeDirt

Quote from: Sparky on February 27, 2016, 10:58:17 PM
Shinko 705's ?

I have these on my Steamer, the bike came with a new set and I have not used anything else yet so I have nothing to compare them to.

I have those on my Girly... no complaints. More of a street tire.

TigerWil

Quote from: JoeDirt on February 27, 2016, 10:20:39 PM
Yea... go back to selling silencers. They do not make a Steamer sized rear tire (i.e. 140/80-17).

That's not nice of you Dirty Joe ! You don't know s..t;

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-anakee-wild#dim
Been \"Down Under\"from Holland/Europe with my 3 mates on 3 Tigers 955 in oktober/november 2005 and drove 15.000 km in 8 weeks through the Red centre and the Westcoast of Australia ! See our website !

JoeDirt

Quote from: TigerWil on February 28, 2016, 03:41:08 PM
That's not nice of you Dirty Joe ! You don't know s..t;

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-anakee-wild#dim

"R" stands for "Radial"... check the sizes again. Let's lead people to make poor decisions on tires.

Mustang

:augie

A steamer runs fine on bias ply tires ,The sky doesn't fall .
Hell i have even run mixed , bias ply and a radial , either end , it don't matter it's a steamer ! :love10
and a 150 x17 fits a steamer rim just fine ,also ....................trust me on both counts  :nod

ned37

i ran tourances on my old steamer, and had trouble with the front end in silty dirt.  have had shinkos on my present one and am quite happy with them.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

ghulst

Cool debate this has triggered. ;)

Anyway, I did bite the bullet and will have a set of Anakee III's on the steamer soon. I am interested to see what they will ride like. I hear many stories, many of which are good. I mostly ride on road anyway, so the 90/10 bias would work for me. I'll put some tougher knobblies on the Transalp for going further off road.

Sin_Tiger

Never had the A III's myself, couple of friends had them fitted to their AT's and were quite happy with them in all respects, particularly wet grip and wear, I think they got around the 15k kms on the rear and the front was still in good shape with no evidence of "cupping" on the front at that stage unlike the earlier versions.

Good luck with them and looking forward to the test  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JoeDirt

Quote from: ghulst on March 03, 2016, 11:31:03 AM
Cool debate this has triggered. ;)

Anyway, I did bite the bullet and will have a set of Anakee III's on the steamer soon. I am interested to see what they will ride like. I hear many stories, many of which are good. I mostly ride on road anyway, so the 90/10 bias would work for me. I'll put some tougher knobblies on the Transalp for going further off road.

Full review with pictures this time...