News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking kitty

Started by Ron in Buffalo, June 19, 2016, 03:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in Buffalo

Hello everyone. The past month my tigger is marking the garage floor.  It has been doing this on a regular basis. The water/coolant pump has s few drops of fluid on it when I investigate it. It is not loosing very much yet. I have not added any water because the coolant reservoir is between the max/min marks. It is not over heating. My question is does pump need replace or can I just replace the gasket and reseal it. The bike is a 1999 885i w/36000 miles on it. Any assistance is appreciated.

Bixxer Bob

First thing I'd do Ron is check tighten the two hoses.  I thought my replacement pump was leaking but it was actually coming from the front hose which I thought was tight enough, but turned out not to be.  I'd done it up with a screwdriver, but put another half turn on it with a 7mm socket.

Dry everything off fully and if you can't see where it's coming from try dusting it with a bit of talcum powder and running it for a bit.  There is a drain hole  underneath to allows anything that gets past the seals to escape.  And, of course as you rightly say, it could be the gasket.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Ron in Buffalo

Hi Bixxer Bob - I follow all your suggestions. Tighten the clamps. Powder it. It still dripping out of the bottom water pump cover. I am not finding antifreeze any where else. I look from the radiator to the head - dry any clean. Also when I ride the bike and park it it does not leak until it cools down and I go look at it until the next morning. I believe from a fiche I see it is the seal/gasket needs replace. So my next question can anyone suggest a place to buy it? Also will one off a 955 fit? Thanks Ron

JoeDirt

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on June 21, 2016, 02:42:29 AM
So my next question can anyone suggest a place to buy it? Also will one off a 955 fit? Thanks Ron

The waterpump part number for a 1999 855i Tiger is T2100509. That part number changes in 2001 on the 955i to T2100680. On paper, the 855i waterpump is not the same as the 955i. Someone might chime in later and say they are the same. I do not know the physical differences and I would not leave it chance.

BixxerBob rebuilt his existing pump just recently... he would be a good source for rebuilding your existing pump. The 855i pump is available at BikeBandit.com for $180USD and more specifically at http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1999-triumph-tiger-885i/o/m21205#sch563086 There is a gasket and an o-ring that I would try first, personally.

eBay is a good source for used parts aswell.

Chris Canning

For me the answer is nothing to do with water pumps :icon_wink: is your bike just another along the way or part of the family furniture because you'll arrive at decision about a cheapo fix or a new part.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 21, 2016, 09:32:18 AM
For me the answer is nothing to do with water pumps :icon_wink: is your bike just another along the way or part of the family furniture because you'll arrive at decision about a cheapo fix or a new part.

:iagree I agree, if the pump isn't making noise... it's not the pump. My previous post was an attempt to not have you use a 955i pump.

Ron in Buffalo

Quote from: JoeDirt on June 21, 2016, 05:40:30 AM
The waterpump part number for a 1999 855i Tiger is T2100509. That part number changes in 2001 on the 955i to T2100680. On paper, the 855i waterpump is not the same as the 955i. Someone might chime in later and say they are the same. I do not know the physical differences and I would not leave it chance.

BixxerBob rebuilt his existing pump just recently... he would be a good source for rebuilding your existing pump. The 855i pump is available at BikeBandit.com for $180USD and more specifically at http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1999-triumph-tiger-
885i/o/m21205#sch563086
There is a gasket and an o-ring that I would try first, personally.

eBay is a good source for used parts aswell.
Hi Joe I order the oring and gasket I will post with the results. Chris I don't understand your post if trying to help thanks.

JoeDirt

Hey Ron, my cooling overflow tube runs straight down towards the water pump and is sandwiched between it and the engine housing. I hate to ask the obvious... could your cooling system be overfilled or overheating enough to blow some coolant out the overflow tube?  :icon_scratch:

Ron in Buffalo

Quote from: JoeDirt on June 22, 2016, 02:28:04 AM
Hey Ron, my cooling overflow tube runs straight down towards the water pump and is sandwiched between it and the engine housing. I hate to ask the obvious... could your cooling system be overfilled or overheating enough to blow some coolant out the overflow tube?  :icon_scratch:

Great question- the first thing I checked when I notice the problem. It's not coming out of the overflow hose. It's not overheating. Like I said earlier it's a few drops I have not added any fluids as of yet. The coolant is between the min/max mark in the coolant reservoir.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on June 21, 2016, 11:52:46 PM
Hi Joe I order the oring and gasket I will post with the results. Chris I don't understand your post if trying to help thanks.

Ron

It's really simple is this bike of yours just another along the the way or is it a keeper because if it's the latter just stick a brand new pump one on and be done with it.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on August 02, 2012, 05:28:01 AM
My name is Ron. I live in Buffalo, NY. Not quite sure which forum to use to introduce myself. I plan on picking up a 1999 Tiger on Friday w/18000 miles on it. Even though I am an old guy I feel like a kind waiting for xmas. I hope to get to know some of you in the future.

I dug up the above quotation and Ron has had his "Girly" since 2012... I think he will pass it to his children. :thumbsup

I am treating it as a "family heirloom". :*&*

Chris Canning

I've heard it all before :icon_wink: if your still here in 10 years time I'll believe you :icon_lol:

JoeDirt

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 22, 2016, 04:22:54 PM
I've heard it all before :icon_wink: if your still here in 10 years time I'll believe you :icon_lol:

I'll mark my calendar...

Bixxer Bob

Spent a pleasuarable afternoon at Clive's and he's of the same opinion as Chris.  He can't get his head around buying anything that's not OEM.  He's had bikes worth 7-8 grand fitted with 20-quid chinese brake levers risking bike and life to save a few quid.  Why would you???

Anyway, back on track.  Hopefully  new gasket and O ring will cure your problem. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 22, 2016, 09:03:16 PM
Spent a pleasuarable afternoon at Clive's and he's of the same opinion as Chris.  He can't get his head around buying anything that's not OEM.  He's had bikes worth 7-8 grand fitted with 20-quid chinese brake levers risking bike and life to save a few quid.  Why would you???

The parts from BikeBandit.com are OEM Triumph. They have Triumph part numbers and come in Triumph ziplock baggies straight from Mr. Triumph. They aren't aftermarket!