News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Radiator replacement

Started by ghulst, July 01, 2016, 09:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok, so now I find out that the only way to mount the radiator is to remove the two supports that the radiator sits in. Crap. On one of the sides the bolts are stuck very, very much. :( So, nothing happened tonight as I have just soaked them in oil and I'll try them again tomorrow.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

You are not having much luck are you?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

We have a saying up here "If it wisnae fur bad luck I'd hae nae luck at all"  :icon_frown:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

It's stuff like this that makes us just love our bikes so much more. :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 18, 2016, 11:13:15 PM
You are not having much luck are you?
Hahahahaha, well, I don't know. I mean, I did pull it out with one of the supports broken, so instead of putting it back on first, it might have been better to leave it off, then try to mount it again. :) I'll get there. At some point. ;)

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 18, 2016, 11:59:58 PM
We have a saying up here "If it wisnae fur bad luck I'd hae nae luck at all"  :icon_frown:
Nice one. Cultural optimism runs deep I guess. ;)

ghulst

Well, good news. The Tiger has a radiator again. I was able to get everything off, and get the radiator mounted. (Though I came across a couple of things that made me believe that it is probably a lot easier to do when you are assembling the bike in the factory. But hey, it works.

The only question I have now, is can someone show me how the fan wiring runs on their steamer? Mine is pretty close to the engine and I am not sure about that. (On the other hand, as the mount had broken, I have got no clue where it originally ran.)

Now I am only waiting for the airfilter. :)

ghulst

I got it from a local motorcycle club came by last night. And after explaining to him what I have been doing to the Tiger he remarked: "Tiger is not the name of the bike, it is the nickname on the owner going through all he has to to replace any part on the bike."

Thought that was funny. And very right. ;)

threepot

Don't think the 'steamer' is hard to work on? :icon_scratch:  Airbox...yes :augie
Try removing some plastic panels off jap bikes!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ghulst

None of the jap bikes I have had, had the need to tear half the bike apart just to fit a new airfilter. ;)

ssevy

This is why I keep a big can of Never Seize nearby whenever I am reassembling any of my machines. Makes "the next time" a little less painful.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ghulst

Good thinking. Luckily everything did come off without breaking.

ghulst

Modified the air box today. Ready to be put back in.

Just two questions:
- I have two small hoses coming off the carbs, over the filter box and then they seem to be loose. Is that right?
- There is one long small hose on the bottom rear of the filter box that is hanging loose. Is that right?

GavD

Yes and
Yes
They are vent pipes from the carbs, and a drain for the airbox should anything get in there.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

the airbox drain tube is supposed to have a plug in the end, (which you remove to drain the box), otherwise it lets unfiltered air in.

GavD

Quote from: JayDub on July 23, 2016, 07:12:11 PM
the airbox drain tube is supposed to have a plug in the end, (which you remove to drain the box), otherwise it lets unfiltered air in.

Now I need to go and check that, don't remember seeing it when I changed the airbox. I guess I can just fold it over and cable tie it if it's missing.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S