News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fluctuating rev needle..

Started by threepot, July 25, 2016, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

And a noticeable hesitation. Noticed this on a ride today. Most of the time the bike ran OK,but....
Bad coil?? Noticed the rev needle fluctuating up and down by a few hundred revs?
I fitted a set of tt600 coils last year.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Are the revs going up and down with the needle???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If the TT600 coils were new ones then it's not so likely, if the revs were steady I can think of only one other thing  :icon_rolleyes: Mustang's the expert on the igniter.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Not noticed them rise Bob,just seems like a slight miss/hesitation? I did notice th e needle drop a little when I kept it at a constant speed. I remember reading somewhere what a fluctuating rev needle indicates,but I can't remember if it was coils,ECU,or something else??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 25, 2016, 10:05:34 PM
If the TT600 coils were new ones then it's not so likely, if the revs were steady I can think of only one other thing  :icon_rolleyes: Mustang's the expert on the igniter.
They were 'used' ,not new ST.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Do a search for "the little fucker"😆
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

Quote from: ssevy on July 25, 2016, 10:20:23 PM
Do a search for "the little fucker"😆
I did think that was the problem,but bike didn't cut out. Ran OK mostly.
Have noticed that when I start from cold,it seems like its 'missing',but when I shut the chokes off,it settles to a nice idle,and rides away nicely.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Water in the gas? Worth a bottle of Star Tron or some Sea Foam, as it won't hurt anything.

threepot

Quote from: ssevy on July 26, 2016, 01:38:08 AM
Water in the gas? Worth a bottle of Star Tron or some Sea Foam, as it won't hurt anything.
That wouldn't cause the needle to fluctuate? ? At first I thought it was the fuel tap? I've been having an issue with that. But not noticed the needle fluctuating before.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

If you haven't heard the engine revs fluctuate as well, it's gotta be an electrical gremlin right? If I remember right, the rev counter is fed from the cdi unit.

Got an old rev counter that was working OK when I got it hanging around if ya wanna try that?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

ssevy

Quote from: threepot on July 26, 2016, 08:36:16 AM
That wouldn't cause the needle to fluctuate? ? At first I thought it was the fuel tap? I've been having an issue with that. But not noticed the needle fluctuating before.
If the engine is running roughly, the tach needle would fluctuate with the changing revs. Sorry if I am misunderstanding the symptoms☺️

threepot

Quote from: ssevy on July 26, 2016, 05:11:41 PM
If the engine is running roughly, the tach needle would fluctuate with the changing revs. Sorry if I am misunderstanding the symptoms☺️
It's only slight . Just like its not quite getting enough fuel? I did think it was that,because the tap plays up now and again. But the needle fluctuation seems an electrical issue.
I've just ordered a 'new' set of Gill coils on eBay for £30 each!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: GavD on July 26, 2016, 04:24:05 PM
If you haven't heard the engine revs fluctuate as well, it's gotta be an electrical gremlin right? If I remember right, the rev counter is fed from the cdi unit.

Got an old rev counter that was working OK when I got it hanging around if ya wanna try that?
Thanks Gav. I've got a spare set . I'll try the new coils first. It only happened a few times during the ride. The bike ran really well.......95% of the time!! :icon_wink: It is 20 yrs old after all.
I was out with a friend on his wee strom 650,and he's always telling me what a good bike it is! I've ridden it,and it's OK,but not as involving as the steamer. So I was telling it..'don't break down,don't break down'!! But it didnt :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I've got a spare igniter box if you want to try that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 27, 2016, 10:22:46 AM
I've got a spare igniter box if you want to try that.
Thanks ST. If the coils don't sort it,I'll try the one off my Super3. I have before,and it runs OK with it. Failing that,a new crank pickup? Worth carrying a spare anyway.
95 Super111
96 Tiger